On 2017-03-31 14:00+0200 Nils Gladitz wrote:

On 03/31/2017 11:54 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

Hi Nils:

And use of ExternalProject_Add, etc.  In other words, this is a pretty
crippling restriction for users with Linux distributions (such as the
quite recent Ubuntu 2016.10 of the original poster) that do not yet
give access to libssl version 1.1.0 (the oldest version of libssl
where HMAC_CTX_new() and HMAC_CTX_free() are available according to
your previous post).

Strangely enough I have no issue on Ubuntu 16.04 with the system default installation of OpenSSL.

What I missed in the original post is that the error comes from libarchive rather than libcurl. But libarchive itself also seems to provide inline definitions of the missing functions in Utilities/cmlibarchive/libarchive/archive_openssl_hmac_private.h for OpenSSL < 1.1.

I can't tell why the inline definitions aren't used on the original posters system.
Perhaps there is a mismatch between OpenSSL headers and libraries?

Hi Nils:

Strictly from what you have said (since my result bypassed OpenSSL
completely by using libcurl for SSL functionality), it appears to me
that CMake (or libarchive?) developers have attempted to adjust for
the case where OpenSSL < 1.1, and that adjustment works for you with
Ubuntu 16.04, but does not work for the O.P. with Ubuntu 16.10.

Ultimately, of course, it is strictly up to the CMake developers how
carefully they respond to reports of OpenSSL issues, but from my
perspective CMake SSL functionality is important because of the widely
used ExternalProject module that depends on that functionality.

Therefore, from the sidelines I am encouraging you guys to be
extraordinarily careful about this particular issue; e.g., by
attempting to to confirm this CMake-3.8.0-rc4 issue independently for
Ubuntu 16.10.

Further to such confirmation does the CMake dashboard already test
system OpenSSL for the Ubuntu 16.10 case or does one of the CMake
developers have ready access to a Ubuntu 16.10 system so they can
attempt to confirm the issue?

That is the end of my ideas for helping you to debug this issue so
I am likely bowing out of further discussion in this thread.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science