Actually this seems to work:

if( BUILD_VERSION )

    set( version_override ${BUILD_VERSION} )
    unset( BUILD_VERSION CACHE )
    set( BUILD_VERSION ${version_override} )
    unset( version_override )

else()

    set( BUILD_VERSION 7.1.1.2 )

endif()

It's a bit messy but gets the job done, and doesn't require
configure_file(). Maybe there is a way to clean this up even more?

I noticed that unset( BUILD_VERSION CACHE ) actually unsets non-cache
versions of a variable too, so I had to use the temporary variable to
transfer the value.