I just want to tell you what terrible software CMake is.

The newest version won't compile on my system. The bootstrapping just won't complete.

It hangs on 100% CPU while trying to link cmake. Maybe that is a deficit of this system.

I take an older version but it needs ncurses. I have ncurses on the system but not the headers.

The ncurses source package likes to install headers in a ncurses subdirectory. Fine.

But Cmake can't find it.

I specify --prefix=/opt/local.

The headers are in /opt/local/include/ncurses.

At first I find a reference to CURSES_INCLUDE_PATH but setting it as an environment variable doesn't do a thing.

There is no help that I can find in the directory structure.

The bootstrap command does not have any help builtin.

I add CURSES_INCLUDE_PATH to Modules/FindCurse.cmake and it finds the header but now offset from /ncurses. This causes the header file itself to not find its other header files.

The only directory it needs for that is /opt/local/include.

I try to add CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH on the command line.
I try to add CMAKE_C_FLAGS on the command line.

But the build system does not tell me what it's doing.

So I am just endlessly waiting several minutes before it errors out again and I still don't know why or what would have helped, because it does not show me any command lines or directories it has seen fit to use.

This goes on for hours.

This is the first time I have come into contact with Cmake and apparently you need to be able to use CMake as a programmer for your own projects, before you can get started with cmake.

Then again it errs out:

/store/dev/cmake/Source/CursesDialog/form/form.h:40:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory

Oh, I added a colon as path separator and now it doesn't do anything anymore.

So my mistake was to add ncurses at the end of the path but it's not like it should have failed using CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH or CMAKE_C_FLAGS.

Or even that it should not look in that location by default based on --prefix.

At first I couldn't compile ncurses; apparently a bug in the system. I supplied the fix in CFLAGS but the Makefile of course did not pass it on to the file for which it mattered, so I had to even repeat that manually.

Luckily GNU make shows you the command line.

It took me 3 hours to compile version 2.4.0. The latest release candidate had been working all night and not proceeding.

Then when I am finally done, it tells me it needs a newer version...

Of course, it doesn't say so in the README.rst...

I wish this endless waste of time would end.