Hello,

I'm a PhD student in Computer Science at Stanford University,
evaluating a static race detection tool I'm developing on open source
Java programs.  I ran it on the 5 implementations of pools in Apache
Commons Pool, and found some bugs.  The output of the tool is here:

http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/generic/index.html
http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/stack/index.html
http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/softref/index.html
http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/generic_keyed/index.html
http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/stack_keyed/index.html

I will explain one race in detail.  Following the [grouped by field]
link on the first link above and then the [details] link under the
heading "Races on field org.apache.commons.pool.BaseObjectPool:
boolean closed" leads you to:

http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/commons-pool-1.2/build/classes/PASS1/generic/R8_trace.html

Traversing the [up] links on this page yields at least one pair of
paths in the call graph along which a common lock is not held and
hence a race can occur if that pair of paths is executed by different
threads:

PATH 1:

GenericHarness:27
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool:853
org.apache.commons.pool.BaseObjectPool:77

leading to a read access of the field 'closed' at
org.apache.commons.pool.BaseObjectPool:73

PATH 2:

GenericHarness:33
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool:901

leading to a write access of the field 'closed' at
org.apache.commons.pool.BaseObjectPool:62

[GenericHarness is a test harness that my tool automatically generates.]

The above race is due to missing synchronization in method
returnObject of class GenericObjectPool.  In fact, it can cause a null
pointer exception:

thread 1 calls the returnObject method which executes the assertOpen
method and finds the pool to be open.

thread 2 calls the close method which sets _factory to null.

thread 1 executes the addObjectToPool method which deferences _factory.

Many other races are because parts of some methods implementing the
pool interfaces (ex. invalidateObject below) that access _factory are
not synchronized:

public void invalidateObject(Object obj) throws Exception {
     assertOpen();
     try {
         _factory.destroyObject(obj);
     }
     finally {
         synchronized(this) {
             _numActive--;
             notifyAll();
         }
     }
}

Perhaps, the developer expects the client methods implementing the
factory interface to be synchronized.  If this is indeed the case, it
should perhaps be documented somewhere so that unwitting users don't
implement the factory interface without synchronization.  Even if
users implement the factory interface with synchronization, there is a
problem: if one thread executes the invalidateObject method and
another executes the close method (which sets _factory to null), then
there can be a null pointer exception similar to the scenario outlined
above.

Most of the races I found are harmful (ex. causing null pointer
exceptions) if the close method is called concurrently with some other
pool interface method.  Perhaps, it is highly unlikely that a client
would do that.  However, since the pool interface is intended to be
thread-safe, I think it's implementations should handle this scenario
gracefully.

I have summarized below all possible bugs I found by inspecting the
above reports generated by my race detection tool.  I would be happy
if you can confirm/refute these bugs.

Thanks!
-- Mayur

org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool

The returnObject(Object) and addObject() methods must be synchronized.
 The synchronization inside the body of the method addObjectToPool is
then unnecessary since all callers of this method are synchronized.

The entire invalidateObject(Object) method must be synchronized, not
just parts of it.

The entire borrowObject() method must be synchronized, not just parts
of it.  Note that there are dereferences of _factory in the
unsynchronized portions of this method, so there will be a null
pointer dereference if it is called concurrently with the close
method.  Once the entire borrowObject method is synchronized, you can
also move the assertOpen() call at the start of each iteration of the
loop in this method to outside the loop.

org.apache.commons.pool.impl.StackObjectPool

The entire returnObject(Object) method must be synchronized, not just
parts of it.

The getNumIdle() method must be synchronized.

The getNumActive() method must be synchronized.

The entire addObject() method must be synchronized, not just parts of it.

org.apache.commons.pool.impl.SoftReferenceObjectPool

The entire returnObject(Object) method must be synchronized, not just
parts of it.

The entire addObject() method must be synchronized, not just parts of it.

The getNumIdle() method must be synchronized.

org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericKeyedObjectPool

The entire returnObject(Object,Object) method must be synchronized,
not just parts of it.

The entire invalidateObject(Object,Object) method must be
synchronized, not just parts of it.

The entire addObject(Object) method must be synchronized, not just parts of it.

org.apache.commons.pool.impl.StackKeyedObjectPool