Hi Bruce,

Thanks anyway. Looking into the sun packages in plugin.jar, as you helpfully suggested, I found Windows-specific implementations for NS4, NS6, and IE. Didn't see any way to resolve conflicts between settings (e.g.: a method for determing the preferred browser when there are multiple browsers installed with different settings), although were a lot of similar-sounding classes there.

The API seems sound enough, might fit in well with the JDIC project on java.net ...

- Chris

From: Bruce McHaffie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Commons HttpClient Project'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Auto-detecting proxy settings in a standalone Java app
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:47:50 -0400

Hi Chris, I just meant decompile the plugin.jar code and take a look at what
Sun does for getting proxy settings. I've never tried loading plugin.jar
outside a browser. That's an interesting idea though.

Bruce.

_________________________________________________________________ Trouvez l'âme soeur sur MSN Rencontres http://g.msn.fr/FR1000/9551