Recently, my SmarterMail Server underwent a DOS attack. I was puzzled at the
server center's initial response indicating possible power issues.

My first thought is always that hardware failed. In this instance, such was
not the case.

I was told my IP was being attacked and NULL Route was applied. A NULL Route
essentially sends traffic to nowhere.

Response from CO_LO Host. "I apologize if I was not clear in my previous
response. We needed to block incoming DNS to the server as it appears to be
the majority of attack traffic. Outbound DNS should still continue to
function at this time."

While I was given to believe the attack was IP based, the reference that
later came through was DNS related. I used OPEN DNS on the server and felt
if anyone could / would handle DNS, they would be a good choice.

When I first learned of the DNS attack, I suggested using a different DNS.
The center chose to continue with the NULL Route believing it would be the
best choice at the time.

The eventual result was placing a GOOGLE DNS as the primary DNS and the
server came back online.

I am attempting to gain additional information that will help determine what
configurations should be put in place to help prevent in the future. The
Google Primary is still in place.

Thanks to Mailsbestfriend, email was successfully bucketed for later
delivery.

Fortunately, the attack came at the end of a work day so impact on business
customers was minimal.

I would entertain thoughts as to how to prepare in order to manage such
events in the future.

Martin