San Diego is an extremely challenging environment for starting community
gardens.
Currently the City charges a minimum of $5000.00 to permit a garden so
we are always looking for other alternatives.  One is putting community
gardens on school property and combining it with the school garden.
This has the added advantage of providing additional manpower to care
for the garden and provide educational programs at the garden.  Many
schools here have gardens but frequently they go unused and neglected
because there is no school staff to support the garden.

Does
anyone have experience with joint use gardens?  I am presenting on this
topic at an upcoming School Garden Conference and am working with others on
implementing the school/community garden portions of the recent CDC
Grant awarded to the San Diego Dept of Health Services.  Your
experiences and guidance would be much appreciated.

Judy Jacoby