From: comp-quran-requ...@comp.leeds.ac.uk [comp-quran-requ...@comp.leeds.ac.uk]
On Behalf Of Majdi Sawalha [sc...@leeds.ac.uk]
Sent: 08 February 2010 13:51
To: Eric Atwell; Kais Dukes
Cc: Quranic Arabic Corpus discussion
Subject: RE: Advice Required - Printed Version of the Quranic Arabic Corpus for
        distribution

Hello Eric and Kais,

 iwant to highlight the issue of the Arabic writing style of the Qur'an. In the
Qur'an Corpus you use the Qthmani script, the same writing style since the
third Kalifa Othman Ibn Affan. this writing style is a bit different that the
modern standard Arabic script. but Islamic scholars to some reasons continued
to print the Qur'an using the same Othmani script. i found it easier to read
the Qur'an using modern standard Arabic script. as well as it is easier to
apply existing Arabic NLP tools to the modern standard Arabic script. if you
want to continue in using the same Othmani script, would you please make
another copy of the Qur'an using modern standard Arabic script. or you might
think of providing options (limited) similar to Tanzil project
http://tanzil.info/download

best regards,
Majdi
 MajdiSawalha,