The following is a diachronic study of deflected/strict agreement
variability:

Belnap, R. K. and O. Shabaneh (1992). Variable Agreement with Nonhuman
Controllers in Classical and Modern Standard Arabic.* Perspectives on Arabic
Linguistics IV*. E. Broselow, M. Eid and J. McCarthy. Amsterdam &
Phildelphia, John Benjamins: 245-262.

It doesn't deal specifically with the Qur'anic text, but the findings would
still be applicable, I believe.

Robert Ricks

PhD Candidate
Georgetown University

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Salman Rizwan <salr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The concept of Kullu Jamm'a Moanath (treating plurals as singular
feminine) is a rule however there are certain exceptions
> The quoted verse is the application of one of those exceptions
>
> Hence it is not true to state that the rule is not correct
>
> Salman Rizwan
> Mississauga, Canada
>
> --- On Mon, 4/12/10, Abdulbaqi Abdul Baquee <a.m.shara...@leeds.ac.uk>
wrote:

> From: Abdulbaqi Abdul Baquee <a.m.shara...@leeds.ac.uk>
> Subject: RE: Would you like to write a brief summary of a key topic in
Quranic Arabic grammar?
> To: "Eric van Lit" <fifkik...@hotmail.com>, "comp-quran@comp.leeds.ac.uk"
<comp-quran@comp.leeds.ac.uk>

> Hi
>
> I think Eric has made a good point on:
> "There are some finer points in grammar which specifically pertain to the
Quran which for example sometimes makes a general rule not entirely true.."

> I think it would be a valuable effort to capture such instances in the
Qur'an including Gender disagreement among others.

> I guess investigation should go beyond grammar books to books on 'the
science of tafsir' [علم التفسير] where such cases of overriding general
arabic grammar are explained in detail.

> Another dimension for research is to record the grammatical variations of
Quranic Arabic based on various 'readings' [القراءات العشر] of the Qur'an.
QAC currently focusing on the reading of 'Hafs from A'asim' when analyzing
grammar structure, but there could be a future track to include other 7/10
different readings.

comp-quran-requ...@comp.leeds.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Eric van Lit [
fifkik...@hotmail.com]
> Sent: 11 April 2010 22:32
> To: comp-quran@comp.leeds.ac.uk
> Subject: RE: Would you like to write a brief summary of a key topic in
Quranic  Arabic grammar?

> It's a good idea but I think there should at least be a citation to a
source, for the readers to be able to double-check what it means.
Authoritative sources in Western languages are Wright's "A Grammar of the
Arabic Language" and Fisher's "Grammatik des klassischen Arabisch". Or it
should at least be double-checked before publication.

> There are some finer points in grammar which specifically pertain to the
Quran which for example sometimes makes a general rule not entirely true and
one of such is actually the gender. This page states that non-human plurals
always take feminine singual for adjectives, but this is not ALWAYS the case
in the Quran. Example:

> Q24:24
>
> وَلَقَدْ أَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكُمْ آيَاتٍ مُّبَيِّنَاتٍ
>
> Here we see "verses", a non-human plural, taking "clear" in feminine
plural. According to Classical Arabic grammar it should be: آيات مبينة

> I also have never heard of words that behave neither masculine nor
feminine in Arabic. This page claims that they exist (the example given is
'chairs') but then contradicts itself in using 'chairs' as a masculine
plural at the end. The distinction the page makes is between 'semantic
gender' and 'grammatical gender' but I doubt if Arabic really has this
distinction. For example, the word ملائكة is semantically masculine plural
and is as such grammatically treated, while this page gives the false
impression it is only 'semantically masculine'.

> I did not investigate this issue further (I will, but not now) so if
anyone has something to say on it, please do.

> Kind regards,
> Eric
> M.A. student Islamic Studies
> McGill University, Montreal