From: Iftikhar
Zaman[SMTP:iftikhar.za...@gmail.com<smtp%3aiftikhar.za...@gmail.com>
]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 7:31:25 AM
To: Kais Dukes
Subject: Congratulations on work done, directions to expand and a place to
discuss such expansion
Auto forwarded by a Rule

Great work (http://corpus.quran.com)! I am sure you are busy wrapping up
things to finish your dissertation. I had actually put a young man to work
on this very thing (morphological and syntactical tagging of the Quran)
here--and he had done considerable work. But, alhamdulillah, yours is a
finished product and quite well done at that.

I see no place on the site for discussions of where we could take this
project further: in terms of adding information and in terms of requested
features for people who would like to use this data in different
applications--so I am writing directly to you.

So far I see people using this corpus to learn Arabic and the Quran. This
will probably remain the heaviest use. But maybe a more significant use
might be that of research. To begin with, you have put us in a position to
discuss the available English translation. The discussion of the translation
will bring the English user closer to the original. A gross example already
in the corpus is the use of the word "umm" as "fundamental" or "basic."
Comparing the way various translators translate this particular usage of the
word "umm" (as opposed to its other use in the sense of "mother") we would
bring the user of the corpus in front of the translator's problem and he
would see how this use of "mother" is metaphorical.

But a feature would facilitate and even guide users to this kind of
examination of the corpus. We need to be able to get from a particular
translation of a word to the other usages of the word and the significant
differences in the translations of the word--both in that very ayah and
across the entire Quran. We would want a filter of some sort, to help focus
on (1) the differences in translation, (2) the significant differences in
translation, (3) the significantly different usages of that word.

In any case. There is much more to say. This is an invaluable tool you have
developed. Once again, congratulations.

Iftikhar