---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Iftikhar Zaman <iftikhar.za...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: Congratulations on work done, directions to expand and a place
to discuss such expansion
To: Kais Dukes <k...@kaisdukes.com>

Wa alaykumussalam and Eid Mubarak to you -- although we are still fasting in
Pakistan.

Without any hyprbole, I think this work you have done could be one of the
major scholarly events of this century. What will make it or break it will
be our abililty to develop appropriate uses for it. Kind of like DBase (I
think it was DBase): the PC was a novelty until DBase made it something
every businessman felt like he ought to have. People would show up at a
store wanting to buy whatever it was that could run DBase!

Computing in the Islamic world is essentially a matter of publishing.  In
the Western world computing started off as a research tool and then
applications in publication developed. Publication is such a commercially
strong thing that beginning with publication has swept aside all other uses
of computing in the Muslim world (...pretty much).

We need to develop an application that we could show traditional Muslim
scholars, those who work with books, that would *enable* them to do things
they couldn't do with their books. So far this ability to "search", powerful
though it is, does not really impress our custodians of knowledge. Someone
who has studied, for example, hadith, carefully, can find, say 50 versions
of a hadith without the help of a computer. The additional twenty the
computer will guide him to will not add to his knowledge significantly. The
ability to search faster will be interesting, but not actually anything
revolutionary.

A major problem with using the computer for research in Islamic topics has
been that one will have to massage the textual corpus significantly before
we can come up with forms of using the data that are simply not available
without electronic assistance. For example, I had started putting the chains
of narration of Sahih Bukhari into a spreadhseet with Bukhari at the far
left cell in each row, then his teacher, then his teacher and so forth.
Sorting the columns alphabetically immmediately brought forth 250 narrations
of Bukhari's teacher Abu l-Yamaan. Looking further, I saw that 50 of these
narration were Abu l-Yaman--Abu Zinad--A'raj--Abu Hurayrah and another 200
were Abu l-Yaman--Shuayb--Zuhri and then a variety of chains. This makes it
clear that Bukhari had two uses for this shaykh of his.

Now this one insight is certainly useful. But to a traditional scholar, it
is not groundbreaking. He might have read this somewhere in the literature.
But if I could actually put the spreadsheet in front of him and let him ask
questions that he had been wanting to ask for years (What are all the ways
in which Bukhari gets to Malik's narrations? In the Sahih? In other books?).
This might be something enticing.

For tafsir I think an essential insight from our traditional scholars is
that most of the material that was transferred into the tafsir literature in
the third and, much more, in the fourth and fifth centuries, was preserved
in the lexicographical tradition of the late first and the second and third
centuries. Ulama of qiraa'aat were the lexicographers and the grammarians.
The study of lexical oddities was tied to the study of the meanings of the
Quran. So, I think the next step would be to bring this material into play
in your corpus. I will need to think about how this could be done. But this
two-step move, from the corpus, to the lexicographic tradition, to the
finished forms of the tafsir tradition, might be something that would make
this the DBase of Islamic research!

Wassalam
Iftikhar