Olivier Teytaud wrote:
Hi,

I have got a lockless hash table to work, and I thought I'd share the results.
[...]

Great! For networks of 4-cores, it is not very useful,
but for highly smp machines it could be great - with your
grid5000 account, you might run crazystone on a
16-core machine and have a very impressive crazyStone.
Olivier
Thanks for the tip. Here are the results on 9x9:

cores playouts/s
   1    18,025
   2    33,749
   3    48,165
   4    62,268
   5    75,539
   6    87,136
   7   100,840
   8   115,862
  10   134,185
  12   158,491
  14   174,274
  16   205,379 (speedup = 11.4)

and on 19x19:
   1    3,780
   2    7,427
   3   11,009
   4   13,905
   5   17,684
   6   21,265
   7   24,418
   8   27,907
  10   34,710
  12   40,975
  14   48,000
  16   54,193 (speedup = 14.3)

Hardware is 8x Dual Core AMD Opteron 875, 2.2 GHz

I'll run tests to try to figure out how much strength is lost by parallelization (ie, what is the winning rate of 10,000 sequential playouts vs 1,000 playouts over 10 processors). Hideki ran similar tests against GNU Go, and found 25 Elo loss with 4 CPUs. So 54,193 playouts per second over 16 CPUs will certainly not perform as well as 54,193 sequential playouts.

Rémi