>>> The issue with Japanese rules is easily solved by refusing to play
>>> under ridiculous rules. Yes, I do have strong opinions. :)
>>
>> And the problem with driver-less cars is easily "solved" by banning
>> all road users that are not also driver-less cars (including all
>> pedestrians, bikes and wild animals).
>
> I think you misunderstand the sentiment completely. It is not: Japanese
> rules are difficult for computers, so we don't like them.
>
> It is: Japanese rules are problematic on many levels, ...

Yes, that was the sentiment I understood. Chinese rules (Tromp-Taylor,
etc.) are nice and clean, so easy to implement. They were useful props
to make the progress up until now. The real world is messy and
illogical, as are the corner cases in Japanese rules. Assuming you are
in this for the AI learnings, not just to make a strong Chinese-rules go
program, why not embrace the messiness!

(Japanese rules are not *that* hard. IIRC, Many Faces, and all other
programs, including my own, scored in them, before MCTS took hold and
being able to shave milliseconds off scoring became the main decider of
a program's strength.)

Darren

My New Book: Practical Machine Learning with H2O:
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920053170.do