Hmm. Do you know that Leela does something special here? When I look at
Leela's analysis output it seems to the search seems not to consider the
ladder escape because the policy net assigns a low probability to it (and
such a high probability to move in the upper right). Which is the same as
in other non-ladder situations when the policy net puts 90+% weight on one
move and almost nothing on other moves. If you do get it to search the
ladder escape at all, it reads it correctly and likes it.

So It seems to me the issue is primarily the policy net giving too low of a
weight to the ladder escape. And the policy net doesn't read, because it's
a neural net - I'd expect the most it would be getting is a feature plane
that says "is this stone ladder-capturable" performed via a simple
recursive search completely independent from the MCTS that shouldn't
misread a ladder this simple unless it's outright buggy.