(3) CNN cannot learn exclusive-or function due to the ReLU
activation function, instead of traditional sigmoid (tangent
hyperbolic).  CNN is good at approximating continuous (analog)
functions but Boolean (digital) ones.

Are you sure about that? I can imagine using two ReLU units to
construct a sigmoid-like step function, so I'd think a multi-layer net
should be fine (just like with ordinary perceptrons).

No, this is incorrect. A perceptron (a single layer neural network) cannot do XOR. The whole point of 2+ layer networks was to overcome this basic weakness. A two layer network with infinite number of neurons in the layers can approximate any function.

But early on it turned out that learning was unstable and-or extremely slow for multilayer networks so the theoretical capacity was not practical.

Now with deep learning we know that with correct training, a lot of data and hardware (or patience) neural networks can learn almost anything.

It is probably correct that smooth functions are easier to approximate with a neural network, than high dimensional non-continuous functions.

I am training my networks on a single CPU thread so I have the benefit of following the learning process of NNOdin slowly. I have seen a lot of problems with the network but after some weeks of training they go away. It is interesting to see how its playing style changes. For a while it would rigididly play very local shapes but now it seems to start to take lie and death of large groups into account. Or maybe it lets the MC playout have more impact on the decisions made, by searching more effectively. Some weeks ago it would barely win against gnugo, and it won by just playing standard shapes until it got lucky. In the last couple of days it seems to surround and cut off gnugo's groups and kill them big as a strong player would.

So what do I want to say. So far i learned that the policy network will blindly play whatever shapes it finds good and ignore most alternative moves. So there is indeed a huge problem of "holes" in the policy function. But for Odin at least I do not know which holes will be a problem as the network matures with more learning. My plan is then to fix holes by making the MC evaluation strong.

Best
Magnus