I’d go, but I already have a vacation in Europe planned that week. General
advice:

Take a laptop. Arrive a day early to learn your way around and test, and fix
any issues. Bring executables on a flash drive in case your computer dies or
gets lost. Even if you have a setup in the cloud you will need a local laptop.
Don’t forget cables and power adapters.

Test your remote setup thoroughly before you leave. Check with the organizers
to see how they are running the tournament. If you can’t support their
tournament software you might need to enter moves by hand.

If you run remotely to your home, test the connection through your router
firewall from an external network. Make sure you have someone you can call if
someone goes wrong. I ran one contest on my home server, and there was a power
failure at my home a few hours before the tournament. The server didn’t reboot
properly. I had to call my son from Japan, wake him up, and ask him to turn the
machine on. Next time I’ll have a UPS on the machine and my router.

I’ve run remotely to AWS, which works pretty well. I recommend writing down
step by step what you have to do to get everything going. You will be jet
lagged and it’s easy to forget something.

Once I ran remotely to a machine at Microsoft that wouldn’t accept outside
connections. I had to write a proxy that ran on a machine in my home that the
server and my laptop could connect to.

Since it’s the first event, there might be some issues. Be patient with the
organizers. It’s great that they are contributing time and money to computer
go. Let them know how much you appreciate it.

Email me directly if you have any questions.

David