Prof. Finkelman wants to know whether I am a "strict constructionist/textualist."  Earl Maltz distinguishes between "objective" and "subjective" originalism.  At some point the labels become unhelpful, I think, but for a short course on traditional constitutional reasoning I recommend chapter 1 of Christopher Wolfe's The Rise of Modern Judicial Review, where he assimilates such reasoning to Blackstone's method of statutory interpretation by "five basic signs" (quoting Blackstone): "the words, the context, the subject-matter, the effects and consequences, or the spirit and reason of the law."  One moves from one to the next only as needed.

Prof. Finkelman cannot imagine SC ratifying if they believed blacks would be treated anywhere (including the federal courts under diversity jurisdiction) as citizens.  But such evidence falls under the fourth of Blackstone's "signs," the "effects and consequences" (and it's a weak argument even on that score since the original Constitution doesn't breathe a word about race as such except for referring to Indians).  If the words, the context, and the subject matter of the Constitution on the question of citizenship are all on the side of such citizenship's possibility, then southern howls about what for them would be unpleasant consequences are quite irrelevant to the question at hand.  What is wrong with PF's analysis is exactly what was wrong with Taney's.

Ditto for PF's defense of Taney's reading of due process.  One need not read the Fifth as an "abolitionist amendment" to conclude that its text, context, and subject matter offer no hope to those seeking a barrier against anti-slavery territorial legislation.  (And, apropos of Mark Graber's comment, I doubt very much whether Lincoln ever said that a law forbidding the taking of "common farm animals" into the territories would be a violation of due process.  He might have said such a law would be silly or even unjust, but that's another thing entirely.)

PF thinks that Lincoln's Cooper Union and other speeches were "fine political rhetoric" but not "serious historical analysis."  He does not say what were the flaws in Lincoln's arguments.  But I am content.  He apparently thinks that in the Lincoln-Douglas debate, Douglas had the better of the argument about the principles of the American constitutional order.

On the Declaration of Independence, PF gives me two alternatives, given the fact that slaveowners embraced the document's principles: that they did not intend the document to refer to slaves, or that they were "dishonest, hypocritical, etc."  Strike "dishonest" from the latter alternative and I will accept it with appropriate qualifications.  There was a certain degree of hypocrisy among the slaveowners who knew full well that "all men are created equal" meant ALL men.  One piece of PF's that I admire is his essay on Jefferson in the Onuf volume Jeffersonian Legacies.  But his critique there of Jefferson  relies for much of its force on the unstated (and sometimes contradicted) presupposition that Jefferson meant it when he condemned slavery in the Declaration and elsewhere.  If he didn't mean it--if no one meant it--then what is the point of the critique?  Is it a mere debunking impulse?  If so, it doesn't achieve its object.  "Jefferson said all men are created equal; Jefferson owned slaves both before and after saying so; therefore Jefferson did not believe what he appeared to say" is a perfect non sequitur.

Tom West has seen our recent postings and sent me an old conlawprof exchange between himself and Paul Finkelman on some of the matters currently controverted.  It's from 3 years ago, before my time on the list.  I'll post it or send it off-list if others wish it.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck
Professor and Chairman