I too have problems with Scalia's on-again, off-again allegiance to originalism, and sometimes with its quality when it's "on."  Yes, neither he nor Thomas has much of a leg to stand on in the recent affirmative action cases where "colorblindness" is concerned with respect to the 14th amendment, where I think Andrew Kull has it about right.  What I would have preferred in those cases is that someone among the dissenters recall the view of Stevens in Bakke (now abandoned by JPS) that the 1964 Civil Rights Act was all the law you needed to decide the question.  Powell was wrong to identify the meaning of the CRA with the Court's interpretation of the 14th, and none of the justices has lately contradicted him.

I don't agree, however, that "stare decisis should temper originalism."  And for exactly the reasons Jack Balkin identifies: when precedent and original understanding are in conflict, should the justices be free to choose between them?  I think the choice is clear for the latter.  Bad precedents have got to go, for any consistent originalist, whatever "reliance" is placed on them or whatever "veneration" they have acquired.  Roe, Bolling--and Hans v. Louisiana: all on the dustheap.

Prof. Balkin writes: "Scalia is the living constitutionalist who dares not admit that his is a living constitutionalism of the right rather than of the left."  Well said, and I'd only be a bit more kind to him.  When his originalism is sound, he is our most cogent critic of the "living Constitution."  When it is unsound, as in "federalism" cases, it becomes a mask for another agenda entirely.  In my article that started all this, I only meant to defend the soundness of Scalia's originalism in Lawrence.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck
Professor and Chairman