1. +1 on distributed builds, along with examples on the 2 main use cases I see for distributed builds: a. building on many platforms for native builds that need multiple distributions. b. distribute the build across many machines to decrease the latency of building everything.

2. +1 on the docs comment below.

3. As to slicker UI, I'm not sure it's as necessary, and there's nothing stopping 1.x from getting a better UI. The bigger issues for me are:
        a) better co-ordination of reports/dashboards
b) integrations with various other systems and dashboards and monitors (mylyn, jira, etc.)

4. Full configuration of the bootstrapping/staging of the build environment. I'm still experimenting with the current mechanisms, but I think it still needs work.

5. Apart from distributed builds, I think we need parallel building of mutually independent projects.

I care less about the underlying technologies because most people won't be adding osgi or plexus or picocontainer components willy- nilly. I would replace plexus if it is deficient, but unless there's a compelling reason to switch, I wouldn't work at it too hard. For example, if it was based on Tapestry (not a plug, just an example), then moving to tapestry-ioc would make sense because t5 comes with it, it's based on that model, and it cleanly integrates with spring for extension. In that case, however, it's a change for convenience. I'd be even happier if such a switch of any given subsystem was because of a solid decision of either defect in the current approach, or improvement in the new one. Spring makes me a bit woodgy because while it's an IoC container, it's not really (in my experience) a great plug-in system. An infrastructure around a plugin lifecycle would need to be built on or (3rd party) added to spring to make it really useable that way.

Christian.