On 29/05/15 21:15, Emilia C. Arturo (Emily) wrote:
Hello.
I am struggling with an old question--old because I've found several discussions and wiki bits on this topic, e.g. on the PyMOL mailing list (http://sourceforge.net/p/pymol/mailman/message/26496806/ and http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Display_CCP4_Maps), but the suggestions about how to fix the problem are not working for me, and I cannot figure out why. Perhaps someone here can help:

I'd like to display (for beauty's sake) a selection of a model with the map about this selection. I've fetched the model from the PDB, downloaded its 2mFo-DFc CCP4 map, loaded both the map and model into both PyMOL (student version) and Coot (0.8.2-pre EL (revision 5592)), and decided that I would use PyMOL to make the figure. I notice, though, that the map 'level' in PyMOL is not equivalent to the rmsd level in Coot, even when I set normalization off in PyMOL. I expected that a 1.0 rmsd level in Coot would look identical to a 1.0 level in PyMOL, but it does not; rather, a 1.0 rmsd level in Coot looks more like a 0.5 level in PyMOL. Does anyone have insight they could share about the difference between how Coot and PyMOL loads maps? Maybe the PyMOL 'level' is not a rmsd? is there some other normalization factor in PyMOL that I should set? Or, perhaps there is a mailing list post out there that I've missed, to which you could point me. :-)

Alternatively, does anyone have instructions on how to use Coot to do what I'm trying to do in PyMOL? In PyMOL I displayed the mesh of the 2Fo-Fc map, contoured at "1.0" about a 3-residue-long 'selection' like so: isomesh map, My_2Fo-Fc.map, 1.0, selection, carve=2.0, and after hiding everything but the selection, I have a nice picture ... but with a map at a level I cannot interpret in PyMOL relative to Coot :-/

Dear Emily,

Sorry for the delay.

I suspect that the issue is related to different answers to "the rmsd of what?"

In Coot, we use all the grid points in the asymmetric unit - other programs make a selection of grid points around the protein (and therefore have less solvent).

More solvent means lower rmsd. If one then contours in n-rmsd levels, then absolute level used in Coot will be lower - and thus seem to be noisier (perhaps). I suppose that if you want comparable levels from the same map/mtz file then you should use absolute levels, not rmsd. What does PyMOL's "1.0" mean in electrons/A^3?

Regards,