Resetting $HOME won't work for me personally since I do have some custom
stuff in ~/.coot.py.  I could symlink it to the coot home folder, of
course.  Hopefully, no other problems pop up and coot does not rely on some
configuration file stored in the actual home folder.
Making .CCP4 folder unreadable is a better hack for sure - this way one
can't open CCP4 accidentally and overwrite the database.

Creating a separate account to just run coot (ideally configured to allow
su without a password) is another possibility.

None of this is ideal, of course.  Adding option to coot preferences to
disable CCP4 folders is.

Probably the non-ugly one-way hack is to put return statement at the top of
add_ccp4i_projects_to_optionmenu in c-interface-gui.cc and compile from
source.

Cheers,

Ed.

---