At 12:29 AM 6/10/03 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 09:48 AM 06/09/2003 -0700, Major Variola (ret.) wrote:
>>the Capitol because it had a gasoline container strapped to its roof.

>but this sounds like a case of Darwin catching up with the guy
>in a way that only eliminates *him* from the gene pool
>rather than taking out innocent bystanders when the
>gas can falls off his car roof....

Depends on how sturdily he attached it.  Jeeps (et al) have spots
for gas cans in the rear exterior of the car.  Driving with
a tank of gas in the passenger compartment isn't a good
thing.  Also RVs typically have a few gallons of propane on
an exterior tank.  And welding trucks..

But the real point is that ammo has to be registered.  Amazing.
I found an old, live cartridge in the desert last weekend, tossed it in
the car.  What if I lived near DC instead of SoCal?

---
"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed? . . .
We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a
bunch of boy scouts that you're up against - and then you'll know
that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power
and we mean it. . . . . There's no way to rule innocent men. The only
power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares
so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to
live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding
citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of
laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively
interpreted - and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you
cash in on the guilt. Now that's the system, . . . that's the game,
and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."
   From Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.