On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Gora Mohanty <g...@sarai.net> wrote:

> Auroville Radio is doing just speech, right? I really do not think

that music will work on a GPRS connection, but do you have any plans

of trying?

Auroville Radio streams a fair amount of music, I believe. At least, I have
listened to some excellent classical music on one of their two channels
(though not on my mobile). I have also listened to music channels on GPRS
via mobile apps like Mundu Radio, and the experience hasn't been too bad.
Maybe I have a tin ear.

Another thought: If streaming speech over GPRS is working well, it
> ought to be possible to send similar audio back to the radio
> station. Thus, one could have a live radio chat, or something like
> citizen journalism.

Well, there *is* something called voice telephony, and it's been around for
a while... Radio stations routinely do live chats (phone-ins, phone-outs)
and I don't think data streaming is really needed for basic stuff like that.
The great advantages of streaming radio over GPRS is that (1) it gets around
the Kafka-in-Pandemonium world of radio regulation in India and (2) the
signal goes a hell of a long way compared to FM radio.

I am not sure, though, if there are any inherent advantages in using
skype-over-mobile or similar applications in favour of normal voice calls
for routine phone-ins or field reports.

Sajan
Join the Community Radio Forum. For membership details, please go to
www.crforum.in