for the fun of it ... from today ...

Twenty-Four More Reasons Not To Trust Your Browser's "Padlock"
http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/07/29/twenty-four-more-reasons-not-to-trust-your-browsers-padlock/?boxes=Homepagechannels

from above:

On stage at the Black Hat security conference Wednesday, Hansen and Sokol
revealed 24 new security issues with SSL and TLS, the digital handshakes that
browsers use to assure users they're at a trusted site and that their
communication is encrypted against snoops.

... snip ...

adding further fuel to long ago motivation that prompted me to coin the term
"merchant comfort" certificates.

... as an aside, we were tangentially involved in the cal. data breach notification legislation. we had
been brought in to help wordsmith the cal. electronic signature act ... and some of the participants
were heavily involved in privacy issues. They had done in-depth consumer privacy studies and the number
one issue came up "identity theft", namely the "account fraud" form where criminals
use account &/or transaction information (from data breaches) to perform fraudulent financial
transactions. It appeared that little or nothing was being done about such data breaches ... and they
appeared to believe that the publicity from the data breach notifications would motivate corrective
action to be taken (and as mention in previous post ... we took a slightly different approach to the
problem in the x9.59 financial transaction standard ... eliminating the ability of crooks to use such
information for fraudulent transactions).