Usability engineering requires empathy. Isn't it interesting that nerds
built themselves a system, SSH, that mostly adheres to Perry's theses? We
nerds have empathy for ourselves. But when it comes to a system for other
people, we suddenly lose all empathy and design a system that ignores
Perry's theses.

(In an alternative scenario, given the history of X.509, we can imagine that
PKI's woes are due not to nerd un-empathy, but to
government/military/hierarchy-lover un-empathy. Even in that scenario, nerd
cooperation is necessary.)

The irony is, normal people and nerds need systems with the same properties,
for the same reasons.