> While I agree in principle, I don't quite like the tone here.

I agree, I apologize for the excessively negative tone. I think RL (and
unrelated) agitation affected my writing and word choice. I've taken steps to
prevent that from happening again (via magic of self-censoring software).

> But I liked your password, though. ;-)

Thanks! ^_^

> For that to be as secure as you make it sound, you still need a password
> or token. Hopefully a one-time, randomly generated one, but it's still a
> password. And it still crosses the wires unencrypted and can thus be
> intercepted by a MITM.
>
> The gain of that approach really is that there's no danger of a user
> inadvertently revealing a valuable password.
>
> The limited life time of the OTP may also make it a tad harder for an
> attacker, but given the (absence of) value for an attacker, that's close
> to irrelevant.

I don't see why a one-time-password is necessary. Just check the headers to
verify that the send-path was the same as it was on the original request.

Somebody used the phrase "repeat after me" previously. I'll give it a shot too:

"Repeat after me": Sending *any* user password (no matter how unimportant /you/
think it is) in the clear is extremely poor practice and should never be done.

And, if a password is completely unnecessary, it should not be used.

On a side-note (Re: Russ's email and others), I can't believe people are
talking about encryption and key distribution algorithms in reference to this
topic.

- Greg

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.