On 6/11/12 6:38 PM, Ondrej Mikle wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 11:06 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> The evil twin has the nasty bits[*] in the issuerUniqueID field, which
>>> is weird, and the ID is not one likely to be generated by any CA.
>>> Would the original have it??  I don't see why the TS CA would have
>>> issued certs with issuerUniqueIDs under any circumstances, which is
>>> why it's interesting the the evil twin had any evil bits.
>>
>> Surely the whole point is that the collision is used to switch
>> <something> to issuerUniqueID in order to hide the stuff that would've
>> stopped the cert from working. I haven't looked, but I'm prepared to
>> bet it would not be hard to figure out what the original cert must
>> have looked like.
>> [...]

Very interesting. So if this is the case, it's not a chosen-prefix
collision attack but a mere collision attack with the "right"
differential to hide the extension.

In fact, I had written a paper about almost the same trick - I called it
"extension hopping" - which was submitted to USENIX Security 2008 and
rejected - yes, I know, I should've put my money where my mouth was and
come up with a suitable differential as well. But in the end I was
distracted by different subjects and Marc Stevens et al. wiped the floor
with MD5 using their chosen-prefix attack.

There is some public documentation on this from the Echternach Symmetric
Cryptography Seminar in January 2008 where I gave an outline of the idea
in a brief talk:

http://wiki.uni.lu/esc/docs/rpw_friday_x509ehopping.pdf

Thank you, dear flame authors, for providing an implementation for my
idea! Now, how should I cite you?

The more interesting question here however is: Why did they choose this
approach? I posit it might be significantly cheaper computationally than
a chosen-prefix attack since you don't need the expensive birthdaying
step at the beginning.

Cheers,
Ralf