Ed Gerck wrote:

Ben Laurie wrote:

Ed Gerck wrote:

;-) If anyone comes across a way to explain it, that does not require study,
please let me know and I'll post it.

AFAICS, what it suggests, in a very roundabout way, is that you may be able to verify the binding between a key and some kind of DN by being given a list of signatures attesting to that binding. This is pretty much PGP's Web of Trust, of course. I could be wrong, I only read it quickly.

This would still depend on what the paper calls "extrinsic references",
that are outside the dialogue and create opportunity for faults (intentional
or otherwise). The resulting problems for PGP are summarized in
www.mcg.org.br/cert.htm#1.2.

It seems to me that the difference between PGP's WoT and what you are suggesting is that the entity which is attempting to prove the linkage between their DN and a private key is that they get to choose which signatures the relying party should refer to.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Ben.