For the last three years, I've operated a mail alias,
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", that publicly archives and forwards
to the government authorities announcements of the public
availability of cryptographic software.  The idea
was that since current US export regulations require
notifying the government any time such software is made
available, it might be useful to have a mechanism that
lets the rest of us know at the same time.  It was
started on a whim, at the suggestion of someone on this
list, if I recall correctly.

The alias forwards messages sent to it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and [EMAIL PROTECTED] and archives the mail at
http://www.crypto.com/exports/mail.txt.  According to
my server logs, that (large) file gets a few hits an hour.
As of today, 128 announcements of crypto software availability
have been forwarded through it.

Lately, the flow of announcement messages has been dwarfed by
the bombardment of spam that you'd expect a relatively long-lived,
widely-published email address to receive.  The alias gets about
100 spam messages a day (I don't keep track any more, I just delete
them from the archive every now and then).  By contrast, the last
message actually announcing crypto software was sent at the beginning
of February.

Deleting the spam has gotten to be a real chore, and I have
a sense that perhaps the alias may have run its course
and outlived any useful purpose it may have once served.  There
are now other ways to advertise open-source software and other
archived mailing lists to which messages to the government can be
openly cc'd.  I'm considering shutting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] alias
down, or perhaps I might leave it up but not maintain the archive
web page.

Would this be a terrible inconvenience for anyone?  Does anyone
actually depend on this service at this point?  If so, I'll
be happy to keep it running, but if not, I think it may be
time to pull the plug.

-matt