x.html">Easier Riders
</A>
-----
Easier Riders
Clean, Sober Bikers Roll Into Md.
By Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 24, 1999; Page B01

Wolf still has his leather vest, ponytail and silver rings on each hand,
rolls his own cigarettes with Bugler tobacco and has 43 gems and baubles
pierced through the cartilage of his ears.

He still has his fat Honda 750 motorcycle, on which he rode this week
from Weyauwega, Wis., maintains the dark, bearded visage of a man proud
of his image, and remains, he says, every inch a biker.

But he has shed the decades of blinding alcoholism, the years of
criminal conduct and the antisocial activities that once went with his
persona. Now he straps a briefcase to his bike.

And this weekend, Wolf, who, like many recovering alcoholics, prefers
that his name not be used, is the chief host and organizer of the first
annual worldwide rally of clean and sober bikers, which runs through
tomorrow at the Frederick County (Md.) Fairgrounds.

Though so far lightly attended, it is a striking gathering of men and
women from across the country decorated with skull rings and thorn
tattoos, clad in denim, leather and bandannas, and mounted aboard
rumbling Hondas and Harley-Davidsons.

Yet, as they rolled in from Ohio, Connecticut and Pennsylvania this
week, a vase of yellow roses sat at the outdoor registration table.
Workshops were scheduled on spirituality and relationships. And most
participants, grizzled though they were, carried powerful stories of
redemption.

The modest gathering was, indeed, far different from the beer-swilling,
breast-baring bacchanals of the hundred-thousand-plus biker rallies in
Sturgis, S.D., Daytona, Fla., and Laconia, N.H.

Although more arrivals were expected today, the rally's busiest day,
only a few hundred appeared to be on hand yesterday, prompting
complaints from the vendors of leather wear and biker jewelry who had
set up stalls.

But Wolf, 42, a former Army rifle instructor now studying toward a PhD
in counseling psychology, and co-organizer Jean Wittman, 36, whose life
took her from Chevy Chase, where she started drinking at age 10, to a
Florida motorcycle gang, were encouraged nonetheless. It was not bad for
the first time, they said. The big rallies started small, too.

"This is a work of God," a parched and sunburned Wittman said happily
yesterday, as the fairgrounds exhibit hall began to fill up with
gleaming custom Harleys.

Wolf said he and other bikers in recovery had been pondering the idea
behind the rally for years: Could you leave addiction and negative
conduct behind and still be a hard-core biker?

The answer, he and others passionately believed, was yes.

"For many people, recovery from alcoholism or drug addiction is a real
struggle," Wolf said Thursday, as he stood near the registration table,
a pair of sunglasses propped atop a Crocodile Dundee-style hat.

"For a biker, they have to pretty much give up their identity as a
biker," he said. "Because, for a lot of their history, biking was about
running from bar to bar on their motorcycle, and big parties and drugs,
alcohol and raising hell."

That loss "leaves a big empty spot in them," Wolf said. "Now they have
two big empty spots: They lost their best friend, alcohol or drugs, plus
they lost their identity as a biker. It's one of the things that causes
a lot of bikers to relapse."

But Wolf and many in attendance this weekend said biking, substance
abuse and hell-raising needn't necessarily go together. And they held
the rally as one way to prove it.

The cohort of the nation's motorcyclists has aged and broadened over the
years, and the image of the ferocious Hell's Angel has been leavened
tremendously by the advent of doctors, lawyers and retirees to its
ranks.

There remain, though, those who call themselves "bikers"--die-hards for
whom biking is a way of life--a solitary priesthood, intoxicated by the
wind, the road and the machine.

"Once a biker always a biker," said Wittman, now of Frederick, who said
she has lived the lifestyle for two decades, much of the time heavily
involved in substance abuse.

"You name it, I did it," she said. "Heroin. Cocaine. PCP. The whole nine
yards. In 1993, I hit a bottom. I woke up out of a blackout in Southeast
lockup in D.C. and didn't know how I had gotten there. . . . I had a
spiritual awakening."

She vowed to chuck her addictions. But she cherished the lifestyle.

"To me, it's very important," she said Thursday, extensive shoulder
tattoos of roses and lilies peeking out from under her black halter top.
"It's who I am. It's what I've been. I can't exactly, with all these
tattoos, go back and become a nonbiker person."

Besides, she said: "I love it. I love being in the wind. I love the
fellowship that comes with being around bikers. Most of them are very
solid citizens. They care about each other."

And as they continued to roll in yesterday for traditional biker games
like the "weenie bite"--in which a passenger on a moving bike bites at a
dangling hot dog--they resembled a horde right from the movies.

But the dry throats of these fearsome riders would be slaked this
weekend only with iced coffee and lemonade, and their urges addressed
with workshops on anger management, responsibility and working with
others.

© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,