-Caveat Lector-

Hi !

Below please find several articles on FMSF and Underwager and Wakefield,
former FMSF advisory board members.

Sincerely,  Neil Brick

To clarify my position, I am anti-pedophilia and anti child abuse.

Also, this may be triggering for abuse survivors.

http://movingforward.org/v2n4-fmsf-board.html#top

Moving Forward Newsjournal
Volume 2, Number 4, pp. 12-13
July, 1993
Copyright 1993, Moving Forward, Inc.
APA-style citation for this article
Related article

FMS Foundation Asks Underwager and Wakefield To Resign From Advisory Board,
Then Changes Position

By Lana R. Lawrence

The False Memory Syndrome Foundation's executive director Pamela Freyd told
Moving Forward that widely known psychologists and expert witnesses Ralph
Underwager, Ph.D., and Hollida Wakefield, M.A., were asked to resign from the
foundation's advisory board on July 1. This action was taken as a result of
questions raised over a 1991 interview that Underwager and Wakefield gave to
the Netherlands' publication Paidika, The Journal of Paedophilia (Winter,
1993). But the following day, Freyd changed her position and said that the
foundation had not made a formal request for Underwager and Wakefield's
resignations.

Initially, Freyd said that the False Memory Syndrome Foundation (FMSF) board
or directors (who are separate from the advisory board) had voted to remove
Underwager and Wakefield if they did not agree to resign, and that Underwager
and Wakefield had agreed to "step aside" from the board until the matter
could be clarified. But in a later interview, Freyd indicated that they
declined to resign, and that the matter would ultimately be decided by the
more than 20-member advisory board.....

http://www.movingforward.org/v2n4-underwager.html

Moving Forward Newsjournal
Volume 2, Number 4, p. 13
July, 1993
Copyright 1993, Moving Forward, Inc.
APA-style citation for this article
Related article

"What They Said: 'Interview: Hollida Wakefield and Ralph Underwager, Paidika,
Winter, 1993'"

by Lana R. Lawrence

A line drawing of a nude boy appeared on the cover of the Paidika (Vol. 3,
No. 1, Issue 9 ), the publication that included the Underwager/Wakefield
interview. When contacted about the article, Underwager told Moving Forward:
"I haven't checked it [the article], but I'm not aware of any misquotations."
Excerpts from the article follow:

[Paidika:] Is choosing paedophilia for you a responsible choice for the
individual?

RU [Underwager]: Certainly it is responsible. What I have been struck by as I
have come to know more about and understand people who choose paedophilia is
that they let themselves be too much defined by other people. That is usually
an essentially negative definition. Paedophiles spend a lot of time and
energy defending their choice. I don't think that a paedophile needs to do
that. Paedophiles can boldly and courageously affirm what they choose. They
can say that what they want is to find the best way to love. I am also a
theologian and as a theologian I believe it is God's will that there be
closeness and intimacy, unity of the flesh, between people. A paedophile can
say: This closeness is possible for me within the choices that I've made."

Paedophiles are too defensive. They go around saying, "You people out there
are saying that what I choose is bad, that it's no good. You're putting me in
prison, you're doing all these terrible things to me. I have to define my
love as being someway or other illicit." What I think is that paedophiles can
make the assertion that the pursuit of intimacy and love is what they choose.
With boldness they can say, "I believe this is in fact part of God's will."
They have the right to make these statements for themselves as personal
choices. Now whether or not they can persuade other people they are right is
another matter (laughs). [Pages 3,4]

[Paidika:]  You say that paedophiles should affirm the fact that they believe
that paedophilia is a part of "God's will." Are you also saying that for the
paedophile to make this claim about God's will, is also to state what God's
will is?

RU: (laughing) Of course, I'm not privy to God's will. I do believe it is
God's will that we have freedom. I believe that God's will is that we have
absolute freedom. No conditions, no contingencies. When the blessed apostle
Paul says, "All things are lawful for me," he says it not once but four
times. "All things are lawful for me." He also adds that not everything
works. [Page 41]

[Paidika:]  Still, isn't it a reasonable wish for paedophiles to want to see
paedophile sex decriminalized? It may not be realistic right now in the U.S.,
but does that make it less legitimate a goal?

RU: Oh yes, sure, sure. I mean Jesus said, "I really don't want to do this. I
don't want to go up there onto Calvary." But when it came down to it, he
said, "Well, OK, I'm going to walk the steps." As for decriminalization the
question is really if you're not there, how are you going to get there?

[Paidika:] Any advice?

RU: Take the risk, the consequences of the risk, and make the claim: this is
something good. Paedophiles need to become more positive and make the claim
im that paedophilia is an acceptable expression of God's will for love and
unity among human beings. This is the only way the question is going to be
answered, of whether or not it is possible. Does it happen? Can it be good?
That's what we don't know yet, the ways in which paedophiles can conduct
themselves in loving ways. That's what you need to talk about. You need to
get involved in discourse,and to do so while acting. Matthew 11 talks about
the wisdom of God, and the way in which God's wisdom, like ours, can only
follow after.

[Paidika:] You spoke about the need for paedophiles to engage in a discourse.
What should that be?

HW [Wakefield]: We can't presume to tell them specific behaviors, but in
terms of goals, certainly the goal is that the experience be positive, at the
very least not negative, for their partner and partner's family. And
nurturing . Even if it were a good relationship with the boy, if the boy was
not harmed and perhaps even benefitted, if it tore the family of the boy
apart, that would be negative.

It would be nice if someone could get some kind of big research grant to do a
longitudinal study of, let's say, a hundred twelve-year-old boys in
relationships with loving paedophiles. Whoever was doing the study would have
to follow them at five year intervals for twenty years. This is impossible in
the U.S. right now. We're talking a long time in the future. [Page 121]

Lana R. Lawrence is the editor of Moving Forward