-Caveat Lector-

The tax problem looks serious.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: SNET: [piml] IRS Y2K Problem?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 17:22:32 -0700
From: Ed Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

"On Sep 05, Don Cline wrote:"

Goodyear, Arizona (near Phoenix)

As significant as the Waco revelations may be, Chris Stark has raised
the
question of why now?  Why not a year and a half ago, when the
information
first (allegedly) became available?  He ties it, tentatively, to the
candidacy of George W. Bush, Jr.

I consider it far more likely that it is a smokescreen to distract the
media from what may be the biggest story of all:  It appears the
Internal
Revenue Service is "down".

So far I have about a quarter-ton of anecdotal evidence to indicate the
IRS
computers are either down across the board or, alternatively, they have
simply lost access to their taxpayer database.  The latest indication
arrived yesterday in the form of a typewritten letter on blank paper (no
IRS letterhead; no standard IRS computer format) advising me (without
going
into details) that "It will take us about three weeks to retrieve (the
information you request) together with any audit reports."

This is the third manually-typed letter I have received from the IRS in
the
last month.

The information I requested should be staring them in the face from
their
computer screen.  It _was_ staring them in the face from their computer
screen, along with several other pieces of information they still
haven't
picked up, prior to July 1st, which was the beginning of their fiscal
year
2000.  Since July 1st, they have claimed to have no record of it -- I
had
to provide them with copies.  And now they want three weeks to retrieve
the
information I just gave them.

The anecdotal evidence does not derive entirely from _my_ interaction
with
the IRS.  Ever heard of the IRS returning a check to a known "tax
protester"?  It has now happened to an individual in New Mexico, with
the
comment that the IRS "has no record" of any tax liability involving that
individual.

Numerous contacts with the IRS by other people with whom I am in
communication have resulted in what amounts to pure-dee "stonewalling".
The IRS has no information about someone; the taxpayer has to provide
the
information the IRS should have already had, and then the IRS comes back
with a dismissive answer designed to keep the taxpayer on hold for
another
three-four weeks.  This appears to be a holding operation, as though the
IRS is waiting for some other element to position itself, as though
"when
TSHTF what we do here won't matter any more".

The Department of Justice may also be "down", or otherwise distracted:
My
lawsuit against the IRS had a hard deadline for the Department of
Justice
last Thursday.  They failed to meet it.  They failed to call me and
request
an extension.  I haven't heard from them.

The IRS being down, if it is down, is a you-bet National Security
Issue.  I
figure the "STUFF" is going to hit the FAN sometime within the next 30
seconds to 30 days.  WACO is being used as nothing but a temporary
distraction, in my view, to keep us from paying attention.

Keep your powder dry.

--
Don Cline
Homepage: http://www.mindspring.com/~frdmftr

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->  Posted by: Ed Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>