-Caveat Lector-

an excerpt from:
1683-1920
Fredrick Franklin Schrader(1920)
Concord Publishing Company, Incorportated
New York, USA
-----

Pilgrim Society.--A powerful organization in New York City, nominally for the
promotion of the sentiment of brotherhood among Englishmen and Americans, but
in reality to promote a secret movement to unite the United States with "the
Mother Country," England, as advocated by Andrew Carnegie, the late Whitelaw
Reid, and, as provided for in the secret will of Cecil Rhodes. Among its
prominent members are the British Ambassador, J. Pierpont Morgan, Thomas W.
Lamont, partner of Morgan; John Revelstoke Rathom, British-born editor of the
Providence "Journal"; Adolph Ochs, owner of the New York "Times"; Ogden Mills
Reid, President New York "Tribune," and brother-in-law of the first Equerry
to the King of England; James M. Beck and numerous other Wall Street
corporation lawyers, and the underwriters of the Anglo-French war loan of
$500,000,000 and Russian ruble loan.

=====

Rhodes' Secret Will and Scholarships, Carnegie Peace Fund and Other
Pan-Anglican Influences.--It is a well-established principle of strategy as
practiced by diplomatists to arouse public attention to a supposed danger in
order to divert it from a real one. Long antedating our association with
England, secret plans were laid by far-seeing Englishmen, and sedulously
fostered by their friends in the United States, to reclaim "the lost
colonies" as a part of the United Kingdom. While the so-called German
propaganda at best was directed toward keeping the United States out of the
war, a subtle and deceptive propaganda was being conducted to enmesh us in
European entanglements to such extent that retreat from a closer political
union with England should become impossible.

In order to arrive at a clear understanding of the sources from which such
influences are proceeding, it is necessary to call the reader's attention to
the secret will of Cecil Rhodes. This will is printed on pp. 68 and 69, Vol.
I, Chapter VI, of "The Life of the Rt. Hon. Cecil Rhodes," by Sir Lewis
Mitchell, and reads as follows:

To and for the establishment, promotion and development of a secret society,
the true aim of which and object whereof shall be the extension of British
rule throughout the world, the perfecting of a system of emigration from the
United Kingdom and of colonization of British subjects of all lands where the
means of livelihood are attainable by energy, labor and enterprise, and
especially the occupation by British settlers of the entire continent of
Africa, the Holy Land, the Valley of the Euphrates, the Islands of Cyprus and
; the whole of South America and the Islands of the Pacific not heretofore
possessed by Great Britain, the whole of the Malay Archipelago, the ultimate
recovery of the United States of America as an integral part of the British
Empire; the inauguration of a system of Colonial representation in the
Imperial Parliament, which may tend to -weld together the disjointed members
of the Empire, and finally the foundation of so great a power as to hereafter
render wars impossible and promote the best interests of humanity.

Fourteen years later, in a letter to William T. Stead, dated August 19 and
September 3, 1891, Rhodes wrote as follows:

What an awful thought it is that if we had not lost America or if even now we
could arrange with the present members of the United States Assembly and our
own House of Commons the peace of the world is secured for all eternity. We
could hold your federal parliament five years at Washington and five years at
London. ("The Pan-Angles," by Sinclair Kennedy published by Longmans, Green
and Co., London and New York.)

Mr. Kennedy writes further on this subject as follows:

Not alone the federation of the Britannic nations, but the federation of the
whole Pan-Angle people is the end to be sought. Behind Rhodes' "greater union
in Imperial matters" lay his vision of a common government over all
English-speaking people. If we are to preserve our civilization and its
benefits to an individual civilization, we must avoid friction among
ourselves and take a united stand before the world. Only a common government
will insure this.

These words have a remarkable resemblance to a declaration made by the late
American Ambassador to Great Britain, the Hon. Whitelaw Reid, in a speech
delivered in London, July 17, 1902, when, speaking of Anglo-American
relations, he employed these significant words:

The time does visibly draw near when solidarity of race, if not. of
government, is to prevail.

The similarity of sentiments expressed by two persons of different race and
speaking at an interval of twelve years must strike anyone as deeply
significant. We have here an agreement in that respect between Cecil Rhodes,
Sinclair Kennedy and Whitelaw Reid. All three want a common government over
the Britannic nations and the United States

It is known that the millions left by Cecil Rhodes for the express object of
the "ultimate recovery of the United States of America as an integral part of
the British Empire," have been invested in such a manner as to carry out as
secretly as possible the purpose for which they were designed. Men may well
stand appalled at the working of the Rhodes poison in the veins of American
life.

To its fatal operation may be attributed the rise of societies to promote
Anglo-Saxon brotherhood, Pilgrim societies, movements to - celebrate the
centennary of English and American friendship (farcical as that pretension
is), the formation of peace treaties nominally most inclusive, but in reality
designed to benefit Great Britain, and the gradual elimination from our
public school books of all reference to the part played by England in our
history, English designs against this country and savagery against its
citizens, as well as all unpleasant diplomatic events between us and England
that have been of such frequent recurrence. To this influence may be
attributed the movement to ignore the Fourth of July and substitute the
Signing of the Magna Charta to be celebrated by American youths as the true
origin of our independence, as proposed by Andrew Carnegie in placards which
did, and possibly do yet adorn the walls of his free libraries. In the June
number of the "North American Review" for 1893, Mr. Carnegie employed the
following significant words:

Let men say what they will; I say that as surely as the sun in the heavens
once shone upon Britain and America united, so surely is it one morning to
rise, shine upon and greet again the reunited States--the British-American
Union.

Let us recall that it was Lord Bryce, the former British Ambassador to the
United States, who advocated:

"The recognition of a common citizenship, securing to the citizen of each, in
the country of the other, certain rights not enjoyed by others."

And that Lord Haldane, in a speech in Canada some years ago, broadly hinted
at an ultimate union of the two countries.

We find in "The Pan-Angles" of Mr. Kennedy a map of the world in which Great
Britain, Canada, Australia and the United States are represented in a uniform
color, to illustrate their solidarity. In the minds of the Pan-Angles the
vision of the great Cecil Rhodes, backed by his countless millions, is
approaching its realization. Rhodes held that "divine ideals, on which the
progress of mankind depended, were for the most part the moving influence, if
not the exclusive possession, of the Anglo-Saxon race, of which Great Britain
is the head." ("The Right Hon. Cecil Rhodes," by Sir Thos. E. Fuller, p. 243).

Rhodes' published will of July 1, 1899, has a broad provision for his
American propaganda in paragraph 16: "And whereas I also desire to encourage
and foster an appreciation of the advantages which I implicitly believe will
result from the union of the English-speaking people throughout the world,
and to encourage in the students from the United States of North America who
will benefit from the American Scholarships to be established at the
University of Oxford under my Will, an attachment to the country from which
they have sprung," etc.

The effect of the Rhodes American scholarship scheme was clearly set forth in
the "Saturday Evening Post" of July 13, 1912, wherein the writer says:

"Twenty years hence and forever afterward there will be between two and three
thousand men (Rhodes graduates) in the prime of life scattered over the
English-speaking world, each of whom will have had impressed upon his mind at
the most susceptible period the dreams of a union of our people."

In the "North American Review" for June, 1893, Mr. Carnegie already advocated
the subordination of our fiscal policy to that of England. He said:

"I do not shut my eyes to the fact that reunion, bringing free entrance of
British products, would cause serious disturbance to many manufacturing
interests near the Atlantic Coast which have been built up under the
protective tariff system. Judging from my knowledge of the American
manufacturers, there are few who would not gladly make the necessary
pecuniary sacrifices to bring about a reunion of the old home and the new."

In a like manner Mr. Carnegie spoke at Dundee, in 1890, and in the "North
American Review" he candidly stated: "National patriotism or pride cannot
prove a serious obstacle in the way of reunion.... The new nation would
dominate the world."

The war has blinded us to many issues that affect our political future. With
Lord Northcliffe admittedly in control of many important American papers,
there has been printed only what was approved in London, and suppressed
whatever menaced the peaceful pursuit of the policy of the proposed merger.
It cropped out in the draft of the League of Nations, rejected by the United
States Senate, which provided for six votes for Great Britain and her
colonies and only one vote for the United States on all questions to be
decided. Only a few Senators were alive to the danger, and the misguided
public was so reluctant to hear the truth that Senator Reed of Missouri, one
of the first to protest, was for a time repudiated by the leaders of his
party in his own State, and assailed on the platform, when he attempted to
speak in Oklahoma.

The movement to anglicise the United States is making rapid progress. It had
its inception in London and is conducted in this country under the auspices
of pronounced Anglophiles in the name of the "English-Speaking Union," headed
by former President Taft, with the following persons as, vice presidents:
George Haven Putnam chairman of the organization committee; Albert Shaw,
Ellery Sedgwick, George Wharton Pepper, John A. Stewart, Otto H. Kahn Charles
C. Burlingham, Charles P. Howland, R. Harold Paget, Edward Harding, the Rev.
Lyman P. Powell, E. H. Van Ingen, and Frank P. Glass. In London the
organization is called the Anglo-American Society. At a meeting held in that
city on June 26, 1919, presided over by Lord Bryce, an elaborate programme
was agreed upon to carry the propaganda into the United States and England.
To that end, Washington and the Puritan fathers, though the former headed the
rebellion against England and the latter fled its shores to escape
persecution, are to be employed as symbols of Anglo-American unity, and a
great number of festivities and memorials are included in the program, which
will develop in the course of the year. Preparations are now being made for
the 300th anniversary celebration of the landing of the Pilgrim Fathers.

A Sulgrave Institution has been organized--Sulgrave Manor being the ancestral
home of George Washington--which has raised $125,000 in England and is
raising a fund of $1,000,000 in this country. The use of the fund was
explained by John A. Stewart, chairman of the board of governors, who said it
was "to establish scholarships in English universities and later in this
country, and also to refit Sulgrave Manor." King George was one of the first
contributors to the English campaign, he said.

On June 28, 1919, the King of England sent by cable a message to the