</A> -Cui Bono?-

[O]nce you've been exposed to the psychedelic mindscape of the
man referred to as 'the Timothy Leary of the Nineties' (by Leary
himself!), your worldview may never be the same ever again....

CLASSIC Terence McKenna...  This article will shred your mind.
A must. -- Richard Metzger
<http://www.disinfo.com/disinfo?p=folder&title=Terence+McKenna>

----
from:
Gracie and Zarkov interview Terence McKenna for Mondo 2000
<http://www.deoxy.org/t_mondo2.htm>

M2: Why did you write Food of the Gods ?

TM: I felt if I could change the frame of the argument and get
drugs insinuated into a scenario of human origins, then I would
cast doubt on the whole paradigm of Western Civilization, in the
same way that realizing that we came from monkeys did a great
deal to re-set the dials in the 19th Century Victorian mind. If
you could convince people that drugs were responsible for the
emergence of large brain size and language, then you could
completely re-cast the argument from: "Drugs are alien, invasive
and distorting to human nature" to: "Drugs are natural, ancient
and responsible for human nature". So it was consciously
propaganda, although I believe all that and I believe it's going
to be hard to knock down.

M2: Who is your target audience?

TM: The target audience will be the converted first of all, but
my hope is that the engines of public relations and publicity
will move it much more into the mainstream. The 18-25 year old
group that is drug-friendly but has no rationale except that it's
a good time. This book is what I want every co-ed next Fall to be
carrying to Anthro 101 to beard the professor with.

You've heard me talk about meme wars, and how, if we could have a
level playing field, these ideas would do very well. The theory
I'm putting forth - to disprove it you would have to get your
feet wet and get stoned. Anybody who doesn't want to do that
should rule themselves off the case. So that presents academic
types with a real problem.

M2: If you're going to challenge the conclusions you must come to
grips with the empirical facts of being high.

TM: That's right. It's not a metaphysical argument, or an
emotional plea; it's an argument on their own terms. Can they do
better? What was happening?

I think we should look at the impact of diet and realize that
what you eat changes the parameters of the environment that is
selecting you. I found no discussion of the impact of diet on
human evolution, and yet at the very moment that the great
[primate] evolutionary leaps were being made, there was a
transformation of the diet towards omnivorousness, meat-eating,
predation - away from the fructarian original state.

I'm not saying that civilization fucked up what was otherwise a
naturally-occurring politically correct situation. There was a
period when, because of the presence of psilocybin in the diet,
the natural tendency to male dominance hierarchies was
interrupted. It was in that moment that community values,
altruism, language, long-term planning, awareness of cause and
effect, all the things that distinguish us were established.
Then, as the mushroom became less available due to climatological
factors, after 15,000 years of this human-mushroom
quasi-symbiosis, the old dominance hierarchy hard-wiring
reasserted itself in the ancient Middle East with the invention
of agriculture, the need to become sedentary in order to carry
out agriculture, the need to defend surplus, the establishment of
kingship. These are a reassertion of an older pattern that had
been interrupted by a factor in the diet which basically made
people mellow.

M2: Did that interruption occur throughout the entire human
genome, or are there areas which would have been outside the
mushroom Garden?

TM: People have been migrating out of Africa during each
interglacial. I think the mushroom was having an effect in Africa
over the last three million years, but what really kicked the
process into high gear was that during the last interglacial,
true pastoralism evolved. All previous migrations out of Africa
were the migrations of hunter/gatherers. The migration that began
at the melting of the last glaciation about 18,000 years ago,
were the first herders out of Africa. It's the cattle/human/
mushroom triad that reinforces the partnership, non-dominant,
orgiastic style.

I talk in the book about how apparently at a certain point in the
evolution of human cognition, cause removed from effect became
something that people noticed. At the very moment that men were
realizing that the consequences of sex were children 9 months
later, women were realizing that the consequences of tossing
trash onto middens was food availability in those very spots 12
months later. This ability to correlate a cause with a delayed
effect indicates a certain level of neurological processing that
sets the stage for the suppression of orgy. Because the
suppression of orgy is linked to a concern for male paternity.
Before you know that sex leads to children, all children are the
tribe's children. Women know who their children are, but for men,
children are group resources. Once you put the male paternity
thing together, the notion of ownership soon follows. The idea is
that psilocybin is an egolytic compound, that orgies every new
and full moon, everybody screwing in a heap, makes it impossible
to form these notions of my women, my children, my weapons, my
food, and so forth.

M2: What do you mean by the term ego?

TM: I'm assuming a Jungian vocabulary. The ego is not the self.
The ego is a nexus of strategies for short-term gain at the
expense of group values and even long-term personal gain.

M2: If for the North African herders the primate hierarchical
programs were broken down by mushrooms, would it be correct to
say that the European Paleolithic hunters on the edge of the ice
sheet @20,000 B.C. would still have the primate hierarchical
programs because they had no access to mushrooms?

TM: Right. Basically, this mellowness was an African style, and
it could only sustain itself as long as there was a plentiful
supply of mushrooms and a religious institution that insisted on
it being used.

Here's the scenario: You have this climax Edenic partnership
society based on orgies and mushrooms and herding, and the drying
continues. The mushroom becomes less plentiful. It becomes
localized. It becomes seasonal. The mushroom festivals become
further and further apart. Eventually this is recognized; there
is an anxiety to preserve the mushroom. The obvious strategy then
is to put it into honey. But honey itself has the capacity to
turn into a psychoactive substance, mead, a crude alcohol. So
what begins as a mushroom cult, through a sincere effort to
preserve the mushroom cult, turns into a mead cult a few thousand
years later. Because the mushrooms are spread thinner and
thinner, and the honey is more and more the focus. But look at
the consequences of an alcohol cult. Alcohol lowers sensitivity
to social cueing while it increases a false sense of verbal
facility. So, it sets the stage for boorish behavior. From that
comes the suppression of women as part of this bronze-tipped
spear/grain surplus/city-building kingship/standing armies/
turf-defending mentality that we find in the so-called
proto-civilizations.

M2: OK, we've had first-hand experience with the tryptamine
linguistic phenomena, so your language acquisition hypothesis is
certainly as plausible as any other theory, more so, since it can
point to a mechanism. Otherwise you have to take on faith that
some miracle happened to create self-reflection and linguistic
capabilities.

What evidence is there for the orgiastic, cooperator model?
Certainly the ecological catastrophe when the last glaciers
retreated made war a survival skill. In Northern Europe when all
the game was hunted out, the skilled hunters started hunting the
people on the other side of the hill. In the Middle East it was
agriculture and grain surplus, as you say. So why hierarchy and
violence become successful strategies is very clear. What is the
evidence for the Edenic partnership model, and is such an extreme
position necessary for your theory?

TM: Well, the evidence is two-fold: first of all, the kind of
attitudes you find in African nomadic herders today; for
instance, the only time anybody ever offered me his wife was when
when I stayed with the Masai. Good hospitality dictates that the
youngest wife spend the night with the guest.

M2: But these are wives owned by a particular husband.

TM: That's right. But still there is clearly a different attitude
toward these women. They are not exclusively accessed by the
husband. [no, he can hand them around to other men - is this a
partnership mode of behavior? -G]

The other thing is the great horned Goddess, found throughout
Paleolithic history - why horned? Cattle are the key, because
cattle establish the presence of the mushroom. Cattle-based
nomadism and horse-mounted nomadism are absolutely antithetical,
because horse-mounted nomadism is based on an economy of plunder.
Cattle-based nomadism is based on establishing a stable
environment that is moving over a large area.

M2: Does that necessitate a partnership society as opposed to any
other kind of social organization? It's the black and white
dichotomy we're having trouble with.

TM: Well, it probably was not as black and white as I paint it
because there must have been residual carry-over from this early
level of primate programming. That's why I think a key feature is
the mushroom religion and the frequency of these practices.
Because I think the ego will begin to form in the personality
very quickly in the absence of psilocybin. You have to keep
re-inoculating yourself against what is essentially an
anti-social idea in those contexts. It's amazing to me that the
male love of nookie would stand aside for the male love of
property and dominance. That orgies were ever suppressed shows
how strongly that must have been felt. They said, "A good time is
fine, but the really important thing is to control women and
property."

M2: There are two things that I would disagree with there. You
assume that men make all the sexual decisions, not taking into
account how much women choose their mates, even in a hierarchical
society. And I'm not sure I see the direct connection between
psilocybin use and orgiastic sexuality .

TM: Psilocybin creates arousal. So in a society exempt of
Christian paranoia this group arousal would just naturally turn
into orgy. If you're getting people together at every new and
full moon and getting them loaded, they're going to fuck.

M2: OK, but why in orgies?

TM: Basically, because it's a boundary-dissolving stimulant. It
would be interesting to give chimpanzees mushrooms and see
whether they go into the corner of their cage and turn their
faces away or whether they all jump each other.

M2: Is there a dosage issue here also?

TM: Well, there's a series of ascending doses. At very low doses
you get measurable increases in visual acuity. This is the foot
in the door from which all other consequences flow. Because that
will select against non-psilocybin using members of the
population, because they are less successful at hunting, less
successful at feeding their offspring and bringing them to
reproductive age. So on the next level you get arousal and sexual
activity: a second factor selecting against non-using members of
the population because they are fucking less, presumably.

M2: But at visionary doses you don't want to do anything but
watch.

TM: At visionary doses you become subject to glossolalia and
language-forming activities. It's possible to imagine all three
of these things happening to a single individual in a single
afternoon. You take it at 4:00pm. In the first hour, you kill an
antelope that you have keenly observed; in the next hour you eat
it with your mate and have great sex; and following that you're
swept away by a psychedelic experience. That's a little extreme,
but you can see how this could be happening on all levels.

M2: There's still a leap of faith in your description of the
cultural complex. As psychedelic pagans in a long-term, sexually
open, partnership relationship, we're close to your audience in
many respects. But the discussion about dominator and partnership
cultures reads like dogmatic preaching about good vs. bad
cultures.

TM: Well, not good cultures and bad, but adaptive and
mal-adaptive. Pastoral nomadism is clearly a viable, open-ended
strategy. [until you overgraze the grasslands and the desert
advances -G.] The dominator thing can't be run for more than 3 or
4,000 years before you are where we are: with limited resources,
aggression carried beyond any reasonable level. It may be
dogmatic.

M2: What is the dominator thing? Why not use existing
terminology: authoritarianism, uptightness, sexual repression,
totalitarianism, violence, etc. I guess that reading the book
it's very hard for me to understand how I distinguish between Joe
Stalin and John Kennedy.

TM: I think by this theory these guys are comrades-in-arms.

M2: That's where I have a problem. What have we done right in the
last 10,000 years, as opposed to what is wrong and should be
thrown away?

TM: Well, the answer is very little, consciously. It's almost as
though we have designed culture as a suicide machine of some
sort.

M2: Would you include Galileo, Locke, Voltaire and Jefferson in
that?

TM: Yes and no. It depends on the frame. In the European
Enlightenment, these are the heroes. But the Enlightenment is a
necessary response to medievalism and the Christian eschaton. So
there has been progress, but always within the terms of the
dominator culture. There's always been a fifth column, or a
critical community or an underground. But notice how hard it is
to push this agenda forward. You couldn't get people to sign on
to the Bill of Rights right now.

M2: You couldn't get people to sign on to the Bill of Rights the
first time. It was pushed through by an intellectual elite.

TM: Who were probably homosexuals, and therefore infected with
this unconscious feminizing element.

M2: So the Bill of Rights is not an artifact of dominator culture
but a resistance to it?

TM: Freeing slaves, the universal rights of man are feminist
attitudes. So is anything that erodes the idea that the king at
the center of the mandala city is the absolute arbiter of what
should happen.

The fall away from the Edenic state in Africa didn't end at Sumer
or Greece or Rome or Paris in the 1760's. It's still going on. So
we're still losing touch even as we're reaching out to gain touch
again. I think that the endpoint of male dominance is not even
fascism but Nazism, where there's a racial element as well.
Fascism, the only authentic political philosophy adumbrated in
the 20th Century, is the greatest distance from what we're trying
to get to. I think society will definitely embrace fascism if it
feels threatened by a return to Gaianic style.

M2: You're talking in terms of we and it and society. What
happens to the individual? There is a difference between Napoleon
and John Stuart Mill. But your book bashes Western Civilization
without making clear which concepts are the "ideals of a
democratic society going forward into the future," and which are
characteristic of a dominator culture.

TM: I guess the difference that we're uncovering here is that it
sounds like you think it's 50/50, and I'm saying 95% of it was
bunk. [We think 99% of human history was horrifying, but that key
ideas and concepts were developed that are absolutely necessary
to bail us out, including the scientific empirical foundation for
Terence's ideas-GZ] I think that anything that went on under the
aegis of monotheism is horseshit.

M2: Most definitely. However, you point out that the polytheistic
Hindus have a more feminist religion, yet in terms of the
individual behavior of individual people towards women in that
society - I sure won't sign up for that gig.

TM: Well, their problem is not monotheism. There's more than one
way to fuck yourself up. Their problem is essentially a phonetic
alphabet. The phonetic alphabet empowers a distancing and an
abstracting from natural phenomena that is probably equal in
power to what happens in monotheism. It's just that in the case
of the West, we got a full dose of both. There are non-phonetic
ways to create sophisticated data bases - the Chinese.

M2: Is the high Chinese culture a partnership society?

TM: More so than the West. If you look at the structure of
Chinese marriage in the Tang dynasty, there's definitely male
dominance, but on the other hand, shadow institutions were
created to mitigate that dominance that we would never tolerate
in the West. For instance, concubinage was tolerated in China,
but the price paid for it was the right of inheritance of the
primary wife and her control of the household. So there were
trade-offs.

M2: Would it be fair to say that the biochemical matrix in which
any human culture swims is shiftable by ideas, by ingestibles -
food or drugs - and that there is a shifting center?

TM: Yeah, and it's not randomly driven. A lot of this stuff is
dictated by the vicissitudes of botany. The fact that the
European continent was so poor in boundary-dissolving
hallucinogens allowed the phonetic alphabet and the city-building
kingship style to never really be challenged [except in 1600,
1789, 1848, 1918, 1991?-Z].

The Maya, for example, are a different situation. They clearly
had to accommodate to living in tropical rain forests replete
with hallucinogenic drugs. They were still able to organize slave
labor and have kingship and warfare. But the very baroque, ritual
nature of it - the way that Venus regulated their warfare up
until the collapse of the Proto-Classic phase - meant that other
factors were mitigating these tendencies. And I'm sure that it
was probably the dependency of the elite on hallucinogens. The
level of adornment in these vase paintings indicates to me that
the elite was probably homosexual in style and thereby feminized.
And there are many powerful women in the lineage of the Mayan
royalty.

All of these societies that have arisen in the context of what we
call civilization are not models for what we want to do. It's an
incredibly radical rejection to say everything from Sumer,
essentially all of history, is a mistake. History itself is a
mistake. The archaic revival, if carried out to any degree at
all, would mark the most radical reconstruction of civilization
that's ever taken place.

M2: Do you propose giving up science and technology and the few
accomplishments of history? Would you would be happiest going
back to being a Paleolithic pastoralist?

TM: No, I think it's a forward escape. With 3-5 billion people on
the earth we are not going to return to pastoral herding on the
plains of anywhere. What can we take from that model and
preserve?

My idea of the perfect future is: The scene opens on a world that
appears totally primitive. People are naked, people are
orgiastic, people are nomadic. But when they close their eyes
there are menus hanging in space. Culture has been internalized.
Culture is supposed to be internalized. All this talk about
virtual reality - people don't seem to notice - this is a virtual
reality. These are all ideas - ideas that have been forced into
matter so that we could live in a reconstruction of our
imagination. And de-constructing these virtual realities in which
we live is the only way to get back to some sort of baseline of
what it is to be human. And then you can carry culture with you.
Culture was never meant to be materially realized. Culture is an
intellectual object like a philosophy or a belief system.

M2: The ultimate Platonistic statement there.

TM: Well, it's an attractor around which we orbit.

M2: Let's just concede that we disagree about anthropology and
history. But we both agree we're in a mess. How do we go forward
from here? We have 5 to 7 billion human beings; we have a stable
high-tech culture; the optimistic projection is that there will
be 12 to 15 billion human beings in 2050. How do we get from here
to there? How many people get to go?

TM: I was challenged by someone who said, "Well, you're always
talking to these mushrooms. Why don't you ask them how to save
the world?" The next time I was stoned I asked, "How can we save
the world?" And the mushroom said, "Each woman should bear only
one natural child." It didn't hesitate for a moment.

If every woman were to have but one natural child, the population
of the earth would drop by 50% in the next 45 years. Without
warfare, without migration, without artificially created epidemic
diseases, or relocation and horror on a massive scale. Now,
someone will say, "But how are you going to convince women in
Bangladesh to limit their reproductive activity?" Good point, but
a woman who has a child in Malibu - that child will have 800 to
1000 times more negative impact on resources than a child born to
a woman in Bangladesh. We're crazy to preach limited reproduction
to women in the Third World when, if you convert one woman in
Malibu to the idea of not having a child, it's like converting
1000 women in the back streets of Dakka. Now, this woman in
Malibu is very probably college-educated, completely
media-sophisticated, and open to all the arguments and styles of
persuasion to which we are familiar. In other words, she's the
easy person to convince. She doesn't argue that she is Hindu or
Catholic and can't go along with it.

M2: Forty years from now you've got North American and European
population decreasing. I still don't see how you have Asia's
population decreasing.

TM: Well, in South East Asia, if they expect to maintain the
newly-emerging higher standard of living, they must educate their
people, and with that process of education is going to come a
natural reluctance to have children.

M2: Then your argument, and my argument as a developmental
capitalist, is essentially the same.

TM: Why is this not being preached everywhere? It's because
nobody has figured out how you make a buck in a situation of
retreating demographics.

M2: The drive to reproduce - socio-biologically entrained in the
wetware - is generally reinforced by most social belief systems,
economic theories, religions, etc. Isn't it time to re-think our
relationship with our unconscious drive to reproduce?

TM: One of the things that fascinates me about this idea of one
woman/one child is that here's a plan to save the world, the
implementation of which would rest in the hands of women. Women
have been squawking that they are powerless, they are imprisoned
within a set of male dominator conceptions that make it
impossible for them to do anything. [Some of us haven't, like the
Mondo matriarchy-G] You could go to a woman on the Upper East
Side of Manhattan and say, 'How would you like to have more
leisure time? How would you like to increase your income? And how
would you like to move to the forefront of political heroism by
these acts?' Finally we have a solution which simultaneously
appeals to people's most venal drives, and the political
consequences of it are correct.

M2: I would have agreed with that 20 years ago. Propagandizing
for one or fewer children would certainly help women, who have
had to swim upstream against social pressure; social pressures
which are more powerful in poor and traditional societies. Right
now, increasing affluence reduces fertility. As long as they have
contraceptive techniques and they don't have authorities like the
Catholic Church or their parents or their husbands blocking them
- they will be receptive to your propaganda, and not just in the
First World. If it weren't for the traditions forbidding frank
and scientifically accurate talk about sex, you could broadcast
this message - not only to educated and affluent women, but
illiterate and poor ones, too - everyone reachable by what, in
the book, you call the TV drug.

TM: Well, you have capitalism and the Church and tradition
generally all mitigating against this. These things have to be
consciously denounced. Hitler was an amateur at the creation of
human misery compared to the role that the Catholic Church is
playing.

M2: What do you mean by capitalism?

TM: Well, capitalism requires consumers. In a retreating
demographic situation it's hard to see - every capitalist wants
to expand his market share. How can he do this if there are fewer
and fewer consumers?

M2: The Economist and the Wall Street Journal suggest that
smaller families with higher standards of living are the only way
to save the world, and that is good for business.

TM: But they don't conclude how small the family should be. What
is currently thought by people who don't think much about it is
that it's good to have two children. No one who is ecologically
sensitive wants to have three or four, so if you explain to them
that two is no longer politically correct. . .

So, women taking control, having only one child, then a
de-materialism of culture. And somehow capitalism, if it's truly
the system under which we are all going to live, has to carry out
a complete critique of its premises, and we have to learn how to
sell something other than objects.

M2: That's happening.

TM: I think it's happening. I am not a catastrophist at all. I
think that the trends are in place to create the kind of world
that we can all put up with. But it will be, consciously or
unconsciously, a neo-Archaic world. It's going to be nomadic;
it's going to de-emphasize material culture; it's going to be
erotically permissive; it's going to de-emphasize having large
numbers of children. I don't think I'm discovering the answers.

M2: That's our vision of a more perfect future, too, at least on
this planet.

TM: This is why virtual reality, hokey and bizarre as it is, is
interesting, because what it clearly is, is an effort to sell
something which is nothing. With virtual reality, if you want to
live in the Frank Lloyd Wright Waterfall House, it's $895 off the
shelf.

M2: And Disneyland is ecologically less destructive than having
people trekking all over the wilderness all over the planet.

TM: I think that capitalism should be intelligent enough to
de-materialize itself. I mean, capitalism is not necessarily a
materialistic theory, it's just that on the crude level of
culture the only thing you can sell are things.

M2: During this current recession, companies selling high-tech
things are doing very badly. Companies selling high-tech concepts
are doing very well. There's definitely a move towards selling
abstract embodiments of ideas - call them intellectual property
processes - 21st Century capitalism.

TM: Virtual reality, if perfected, would allow the energy of
capitalism to flow entirely into this virtual realm. Then if
people wanted to live in outrageously gaudy and over-done
environments, at least let them be virtual.

M2: Going back to Dakka, where they're still selling women into
slavery - you have to reach at least a late 19th Century North
American level of development before the propaganda you're
talking about is going to work. You have to get that far out of
traditional culture.

TM: To do this you have to back away from the male dominant
paradigm of military defense. Why is no one saying, 'Let's
negotiate an international agreement that no army shall be more
than 200,000 men.'? Then no one can claim threat, and armies all
over the world can be reduced, but to a level such that they can
still carry out a fair defense if necessary.

M2: What about radical Islam, my favorite 21st Century military
problem?

TM: Radical Islam could be unplugged by putting in place a set of
international agreements of such strength that we can say, "Have
any kind of government you want. But when you start building
weapons of mass destruction, the cops will come knocking on your
door to take them away."

M2: You'd be surprised how many of your ideas are getting
currency in The Economist.

TM: Europe is way out front on all this. The United States is
essentially in a reactionary stance. We are passionately
anti-internationalist, and we have a dream of world dominance
that is inapporpriately 19th Century.

M2: What practical steps would you suggest to convince the people
and the government of democracies such as the United States to
legalize drugs?

TM: Well, I laid out a 10-point program in the book. If people
are informed of the facts, that's all that has to be done. Facts
such as the true dangers of heroin relative to alcohol. The true
facts concerning government connivance in promoting sugar,
alcohol, tobacco and caffeine over other drugs.

M2: The relative harmlessness of the psychedelics in a social
context?

TM: Yeah. Basically, we're living inside a reality created by
master propagandists. The media is too much a tool of the
Establishment. More so than ever in my lifetime. I hope my book
and some of the other things going on in society will break this
down. Statistics such as that the United States is the number one
builder of prisons and incarcerator of people in the world -
people should have that in their faces every day. When the myth
of the danger of drugs becomes too expensive to support, it will
be abandoned and tossed away. Part of the problem is that people
are easily manipulated and led because they have no information
to base any resistance on. The word "drug" has been so totally
corrupted by the forces in control that you can't even have a
rational discussion with people. So if the playing field were
leveled - and I think circumstances are leveling the playing
field - solutions will come.