http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?f=/stories/20010630/606884.html

U.S. Aims to dismantle borders
New U.S. ambassador wants to harmonize immigration, energy and more: 'Is
there a NAFTA-plus?'

Robert Fife and Alan Toulin
National Post

OTTAWA - Canada, the United States and Mexico should forge closer links as
part of a ''NAFTA-plus'' relationship based on harmonization of border
controls, law enforcement, energy, environmental and immigration policies,
Paul Cellucci, the new U.S. ambassador to Canada, said yesterday.

Mr. Cellucci, the former governor of Massachusetts and a close friend of
George W. Bush, the U.S. President, suggested the borders between Canada, the
United States and Mexico be dismantled with the aim of achieving a more fully
integrated economy.

''If we look at [the North American Free Trade Agreement], I think we can
conclude that NAFTA has been a good thing for Canada, the United States and
Mexico and I think the question is: Is there a NAFTA-plus, and I think there
is,'' he said in an interview.

While Mr. Cellucci said there is no interest in a comprehensive European
Union style economic and political union, the flow of commerce and people
should be eased.

The U.S. is promoting special entry points for overseas travellers to North
America that would be jointly run by Canada and the U.S., while opening up
most border crossings to relatively free passage for American and Canadian
citizens.

''We have to talk about being more consistent [in policies]. We don't want
Canadian citizens or U.S. citizens to be spending three or four hours trying
to cross the border.

"No one wants to go down that road. If we don't want to go down that road we
need to use technology and some more consistent policies to make it more
convenient.''

Mr. Cellucci's discussion of a ''NAFTA-plus'' continental economic coalition
follows a call from David Zussman, an independent policy advisor to Jean
Chrétien, the Prime Minister, for a public debate on economic and social
union between Canada, the United States and Mexico.

Mr. Zussman, president of the Public Policy Forum, is planning a November
trip to Europe, bringing 15 to 20 senior federal and provincial civil
servants to investigate how the nations in the European Union have coped with
the end of borders for the European market, and the implications for
policing, immigration and social policies.

Mr. Zussman said the think-tank will issue a report that will link the
European experience to the context of North America.

Maurizio Bevilacqua, a Liberal MP and chairman of the influential House of
Commons finance committee, welcomed a debate, saying North American
integration is occurring more quickly than people generally realize.

''I think the debate certainly should take place on North American
integration and it should be a no-holds-barred debate where nothing is
taboo,'' Mr. Bevilacqua said.

''With NAFTA, the economies of Canada, the U.S. and Mexico are becoming
increasingly integrated ... we have to take the logical next steps in
maximizing the benefits of such an agreement.''

Mr. Bevilacqua added: ''Canadians are more open to change than people may
suspect.''

Lorne Nystrom, the New Democratic Party finance critic, said the Liberals are
''testing the waters'' to get the public prepared for potentially closer ties
to Mexico and the United States.

Along with Mr. Zussman's speech calling for debate about Canada's future in
North America, the Liberals are moving toward a continental policy, Mr.
Nystrom said.

''I'm beginning to suspect that there is an orchestrated move to soften us up
toward political and economic integration with the U.S.,'' he said.

Bob Mills, Canadian Alliance foreign affairs critic, also believes the
Liberal government is attempting to spark public debate on North American
integration.

''We should be talking about everything, but politically it's scary to do
that because, of course, people start labelling you. But the Liberals are
very good at floating these things,'' Mr. Mills said.

However, a spokesman for the Prime Minister said the ideas put forth by Mr.
Zussman are part of the nature of policy developers and a political and
economic union is not on the current Liberal government's agenda.

Mr. Cellucci said Canada and the United States can use technology such as
computerized transponders to permit low-risk Canadian travellers,
particularly business people and truckers, to pass through the so-called
border perimeters without seeing a customs officer.

Dismantling the borders would require increased co-operation with law
enforcement in both countries and similar policies on travel visas,
immigration and refugees, he said.

''We have to use technology to make it easier for Canadians and U.S. citizens
to cross the border and allow the flow of goods to cross the border,'' the
ambassador said. ''That is the goal of both governments, but it seems to me
that one of the obstacles in the way [is a difference over policies].

''If we really want to move to that [flexible] perimeter [approach to
borders], it seems to me we have to try to be more common on those
immigration policies.''

Mr. Cellucci said the continental energy accord being negotiated by the three
countries will also require a common set of environmental standards.

''One of the other things we can look for in an integrated market is that
these three countries would have environmental standards that are
complementary and consistent. It makes sense if you are going to have a free
country market that your environmental standards be good everywhere.''

However, John Urquhart of the Council of Canadians warned Canada would become
completely dominated by the United States if it began harmonizing its
policies as part of economic integration.

''The United States is the biggest bully in town and the world when it comes
to trade. They get what they want and they will get what they want,'' he said.