At 10:14 AM -0500 12/8/00, Trei, Peter wrote:

>  > <<File: SMIME.txt>>
>>
>  >
>Sean writes:
>
>>ASCII plain text *is* The Way.  But guess what, PGP/MIME *is* plain text.
>>You can even parse it with your eyeballs.
>

>Sean: Guess what: Your message comes as an attachment, which I have
>to open seperately.
>
>Peter

By the way, the same problems with MIME, HTML, attachments, etc. is
hitting the Newsgroups as well. Some of the newsgroup folks are
posting reminders (from charters, FAQs) not to do this.

Here's one I just saw in the comp.lang.ruby group:

"  (a) General format guidelines:

         - Use *plain* text; don't use HTML, RTF, or Word.
         - Include examples from files as *in-line* text; don't
           use attachments.
         - PLEASE NOTE! Include quoted text from previous posts
           *BEFORE* your responses. And *selectively* quote as much
           as is relevant.
"

Good advice for our list as well.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)