----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Guerra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> personally, if I had a say I'd say they should adopt the
> same system Canada uses. They use a 100 year old
> system, had few if any recounts, and managed
> to count all thier manual ballots in less than 72 hours.

is there any benefit to the 'canadian system' above it's lack of
lawyers?

in the last decade in canada, i have voted for different levels
of govt via: normal X in the circle paper ballot, scantron sheet,
write-the-name-in-the-blank ballot, no polling station/mail-only
ballot, various absentee forms, proxy (which the fuckers did away
with this year), etc.

they were counted by: little old ladies with a pencil and paper;
or a Brainiac-2000 computer; or possibly not at all depending on
canada post and the particular election.

i dont see why any of these methods are inherently
better/safer/more accurate than those used in florida.

i imagine we dont hear a fuss because: all positions are
generally local positions and of no larger significance; the vote
is often won by a large plurality and not in question; all of
these legal cases would probably have died with the first
prothonotary that saw them; etc.

speaking of canadian elections, its too bad the canadian alliance
didnt get elected and revoke the bill c-68 gun control laws, eh?