On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>It's all so sad and predictable and sad again. The cypherpunks list
>had its glory days: Wired magazine cover stories, blossoming
>technology, and, yes, even those damnable tentacles. Now it's become a
>convenient way for the Feds to land convictions.

Perhaps it is time to consider a new and different mailing
list which accepts messages ONLY from remailers.  It would
be publicly archived and unmoderated just as cypherpunks is,
and monitored by the lions just as cypherpunks is, but now
that the thought-crime laws are setting in full force, it
could provide a forum where there wouldn't be such a simple
evidentiary chain from post to poster.

Given the recent spate of events, and the fact that some forms
of political speech now seem to be a crime, or at least grounds
for legal harassment and admissible as evidence of other crimes,
I will probably have to set up such a list -- more info when
it's ready to accept posts.

The best name (cypherpunks) seems to be taken.  Hmm.  I will
have to consider.  The naming of things is a ticklish business.

                                Bear