(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: Menachos 033: Mezuzos on Doorways Used Infrequently

The Kollel wrote:

>>Apparently, a doorway qualifies as "not Ragil" only if it is *not used at
>>all* most of the year. In the case of the Shulchan Aruch, presumably the
>>doorway through which large barrels were brought was used only at the
>>time of the harvest, when new barrels were filled, but not during the
>>rest of the year.<<

Shmuel Tannenbaum writes:

Dear R. Kornfeld.
In light of what the rav answered the previous question, I had a problem
with rashi on daf 33: Dibur hamaschil: bepesach she'achorey hadeles.
Rashi in the second peshat says that the case is of a rich man who has
a large entrance but does not use it, rather he makes another smaller
entrance next
to it, and the discussion of the gemoro would than be whether or not the
second door
way needs a mezuzah. My question is why is it poshut to the gemoro that the
first one is
chayev in mezuzah, it's not used most of the year only for special occasions?

Thanks in advance,
Shmuel Tannenbaum, Lakewood, NJ
---------
The Kollel replies:

"Eino Ragil" exempts a doorway from a Mezuzah, according to the above
explanation, only if the doorway is both meant for specific people, and
used during a specific season. In the example of the Shulchan Aruch, it is
used by barrel-carriers during the harvest season. Presumably the same
might be true of the doorway of Rebbi. (However, it is possible that since
that doorway was used by *only one* person, even if its use is not seasonal
it is exempt from Mezuzah.)

The grand doorway and minor doorways were used by everyone entering the
house, during the times that each of them was open. (In addition, there
might not have been *set* occasions for the use of the larger door; it
might have been opened without a set, predetermined seasonal pattern.
Special occassions can occur any time of year.)

If the grand door had been set aside to be used for the queen's yearly
Sukkos visit, for example, the door might indeed be exempt from Mezuzah.

M. Kornfeld

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss