(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: Zemiros

The Kollel replies:
>>The Halachic rationale for mentioning Shemos Kedoshim in Zemiros is that
>>when one is expressing praise of Hashem, one may use the name of Hashem.
>>Accordingly, this also relates to the refrain of the Zemer. We find the
>>repeated use of Hashem's name in other Piyutim (such as the Birkas
>>ha'Mazon said at a Bris Milah, and the Piyut of Hashem Melech on Yomim
>>Nora'im, and in some of the Selichos). Thus, one may pronounce Hashem's
>>name in the refrains of the Zemiros.<<

Mark Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> adds:

Many tunes for Zemiros include a repetition of the refrain (i.e. saying the
refrain twice before starting the next stanza). Examples that spring to
mind that include Hashem's name include Boruch Kel Elyon ("Hashomer ....
Lo'El Yerotzu"), Yah Ribon and Tzur Mishelo ("...
kidvar Hashem").

I have heard those who would not pronounce Hashem's name properly on the
"repeat"

Kol Tuv
Mark Bergman

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss