(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chulin 021: How does Shechitah kill an animal?

The Kollel wrote:
>>Shechitah must cut a majority of the trachea. Accordingly, the animal
>>cannot inhale if the trachea is severed rather than punctured.<<

Jan Buckler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> comments:

I would be interested in hearing from a vet on this matter because
there are documented cases of animals living with fully cut windpipes.
The most famous is the case of "Mike the Chicken" who lived 18 months
after its non-Jewish owner tried to kill it by chopping off its head.
The cut went awry leaving one ear and most of the brain stem. The cut
missed the jugular vein and any bleeding blood vessels developed clots.
Nevertheless,the bird lived. Periodically, its owner used a syringe to
suction out phlegm and placed feed into the animal's esophagus. The
bird's death came one night when its owner awoke to sounds of the
chicken choking and could not find the syringe fast enough.

Veterinarians sain that the majority of the autonomic function in a
chicken is contained in the brain stem and that the vast majority of
Mike's brain stem survived the cleaver strike. While it is certain
that without the owner's care the chicken would have died earlier,
it is also clear the the chicken did not die shortly after its head
was chopped off.

Please see pictures attached.

Jan Buckler