Dear Anchal,

Thank you for sharing this within the group. I read this on the day it
appeared in Ken and shared with the group. I largely agree with your
article, but have to say you might be unaware of the existence of certain
databases. There is lot of data out there and is actually not really that
bad. For example:

1. EXIM data was being published by customs authorities until Nov 26th,
2016. https://factordaily.com/customs-stops-trade-data/ They shut it down
because of few businesses complaining to the PMO and commerce ministry
along with customs dept.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3701588-Customs-Data-RTI-Response.html
There are business which were effected by this move, but they still have
the old data.

2. The example of real-time data of buses and trains not available is a bit
of a myth. Within datameet there were multiple API's and datasets shared
related to this data. Few apps like ixigo, travel yatri actually use
real-time railway data published by railways. But accessing them might not
be straight forward. ixigo for example used break encrypted railway data to
profit from it, they don't it anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kaUz_F3Eo0

3. You can buy information from MCA on companies data. This data exists in
an open standard called XBRL. Open Corporates a startup actually lists
worlds company data including that of India
https://opencorporates.com/companies/in

While you stress that it is important data which can be used by businesses
to improve efficiency in trade and other sectors. I would like to highlight
that govt. is not obligated to release this information for private parties
to profit but rather to increase transparency and accountability of
everyone. As much as I want this data too, we cannot demand it with wrong
reasons. Indian Railways and BMTC are planning to sell real-time data,
which I think is their right to do so. They want to do it earn revenue,
every department has different incentives to open or close data.

It is not really that straight forward to ask them to open all the data.
But we can ask them what all can they open and how can they implement NDSAP
in the right way. Stating this, I request you to write more on open data in
the future.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
www.lostprogrammer.com