If I recall correctly, we considered using blank nodes
for such 'intermediate nodes' but decided against them
mostly for technical reasons:

DBpedia produces huge N-Triples files. While we write
a file, we would have to remember which local names
for blank nodes we already used. It seemed easier to
simply make sure that the names of intermediate nodes
are unique within one page.

More importantly, using blank nodes means that you
can't easily use multiple N-Triples files together - you'd
have to rename thousands of blank nodes.

Anyway, that's how I remember these discussions,
I'm not 100% sure.

Note that intermediate node URIs always contain
double underscores, e.g. [1]. Wikipedia doesn't
allow consecutive underscores in page titles, so
we can be sure that these URIs will not clash with
DBpedia URIs for Wikipedia pages. We pick a
name from the arguments of the template from
which the intermediate node is extracted, append
two underscores, that name and a number to the
URI of the main page and use that as the URI for
the intermediate node. If there are multiple
intermediate nodes on one page for which we
pick the same name, we use different numbers,
e.g. see [1] and [2].

By the way, that both URIs [1] and [2] contain the
word "white" is actually a bug... hopefully we can
fix that.

Christopher

[1] http://dbpedia.org/resource/Purple__white__1
[2] http://dbpedia.org/resource/Purple__white__2