Feb. 17

COLOMBIA:

Colombia rules out death penalty for child molesters

Colombia has ruled out introducing the death penalty for murderers and child molesters after a police force general had applied to revoke the existing law.

Rodolfo Palomino, general of Colombia's National Police Force, re-opened the debate after a 4th person, accused of murdering 4 children, was arrested yesterday.

The crime, which has shaken Colombia in recent days, was described as a "slaughter" by the country's president Juan Manuel Santos on Twitter.

The children, 3 brothers aged 10, 14 and 17, and a nephew of the family, aged 4, were found dead with gunshots wound to the head earlier this month in Florencia, the capital of the southern department of Caqueta.

According to Palomino, who revealed the criminal record of one of the murder suspect, the country should consider the death penalty, especially when it comes to crimes involving minors.

One of the accused, Chavez Cuellar, had previously been sentenced to 4 years in prison for the murder of a woman after raping her, Palomino confirmed.

"In these circumstances it is worth reviving the debate: whether it is or not to consider the death penalty for those who commit heinous crimes, especially those who are underage victims," Palomino told Radio Blu.

60 years in prison sufficient

However, Colombia's government and congress ruled out the appeal for the death penalty.

Interior minister Juan Fernando Cristo said that under no circumstances would he contemplate the possibility of implementing a measure of this nature, since he believed the maximum penalty of 60 years in prison established by law for such offences, is sufficient.

"Colombian legislation is very hard against this kind of crime, [but] what we need to do is apply it in a timely, severe manner, and that judicial officials and authorities in investigations work quickly and effectively," Cristo said.

Senate president Jose David Name added that the country is not ready legally to apply such sentences.

"Colombia will have no legal certainty to apply the death penalty. I understand the pain we have with these events, but we have to think with a cool head. Changing the constitution and not solving the problems of [our] justice [system], is not viable," he told local media.

In 2014, Colombia ranked 10th in a United Nations report on countries with the highest murder rates in the world with 30.8 homicides per 100,000 people in 2012.

(source: International Business Times)

IRAN----impending juvenile execution

Iran urged to halt execution of juvenile offender ---- Human rights groups call for immediate halt to planned execution of Saman Naseem, convicted of taking up arms against the state while a minor

Human rights activists have urged Iran to halt the imminent execution of a young man convicted of taking up arms against the state when he was under 18.

Saman Naseem, now 22, is scheduled to be executed on Thursday after being found guilty of moharebeh (enmity against God) for his alleged membership of PJAK, an armed Kurdish opposition group, and alleged involvement in a gun battle with Iran's Revolutionary Guards near Sardasht, a city in West Azerbaijan province.

Naseem, who was 17 at the time of his arrest in July 2011, appeared on Iran's state television later that year, saying he had shot at members of the elite military unit. He is being held in Orumiyeh prison in north-west Iran.

Activists said Naseem retracted his confession during his trial and that it was made under duress. Iran has signed the international treaties which prohibit the execution of those convicted of crimes committed when they were juveniles.

Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International's deputy director for Middle East and North Africa, called on Iran on Monday to halt the planned execution of Naseem and launch a thorough review of his case.

"Imposing the death penalty on someone who was a child when the alleged crime took place goes against international human rights laws that Iran has committed to respect," she said.

"This is the reality of the criminal justice system in Iran, which makes a mockery of its own statements that it does not execute children and upholds its obligations under the convention on the rights of the child."

Iran's penal code prohibits death penalty for juveniles for offences whose punishment can be administered at the discretion of the judge, such as drug offences. But a death sentence may still be applied if he or she has committed crimes considered to be "claims of God" and, therefore, have mandatory sentences - such as moharebeh, sodomy, rape, theft.

Last week, Amnesty published a letter written by Naseem and sent out of jail, in which he describes in distressing detail his time in prison.

"During the first days, the level of torture was so severe that it left me unable to walk. All my body was black and blue. They hung me from my hands and feet for hours. I was blindfolded during the whole period of interrogations and torture, and could not see the interrogation and torture officers," he wrote, according to Amnesty.

"They told me that they would kill me right there and would cover my grave with cement. When I wanted to sleep during nights, they would not let me rest by making noises using different devices, including by constantly banging on the door. I was in a state between madness and consciousness. I could not have any contact with my family during this time."

Human Rights Watch, which has described Naseem's trial as unfair, said Iran was among a handful of countries known to have executed juveniles in the past 5 years. The others are Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and the Hamas authorities in Gaza.

"This is an open-and-shut case since there is no dispute that Saman Naseem was under 18 when security forces arrested him," said HRW's Sarah Leah Whitson. "Naseem and his family should have never suffered mental anguish associated with being on death row for months on end, let alone facing imminent hanging."

Whitson added: "Leaders of PJAK and other armed groups operating in Iran should know that they are as responsible for putting the lives of children like Naseem's in harm's way. There is simply no excuse for allowing children to take part in armed activities on behalf of an opposition group."

(source: The Guardian)

****************

Iran is set to execute juvenile offender Saman Naseem, who is charged with "enmity against God" and "corruption on earth".

Naseem, now 22, was arrested and sentenced to death when he was 17. The execution by hanging is scheduled for Thursday (19 February), despite the country being urged by many rights groups to halt it.

Naseem was arrested after a gun battle between the Revolutionary Guards and Kurdish militant organisation PJAK, of which he is believed to be a member, took place in Sardasht.

Following the arrest, Naseem was reportedly forced to make a confession, aired on national TV, in which he admitted to having fired towards the guards. However, he retracted his confession during the first court session in which he said he had only fired in the air.

Naseem was 1st charged and sentenced to death in January 2012, but the country's Supreme Court overturned the sentence and sent the case back for a retrial, arguing that he had been under the age of 18 at the time of the alleged crimes.

He then was tried and sentenced to death again.

Rights groups have warned that Iran has signed a treaty which forbids the execution of people who were convicted when they were juvenile.

Amnesty International explained that Iran allows capital punishment for juveniles in case of qesas (retribution-in-kind) and hodoud (offences and punishments for which there are fixed penalties under Islamic law). However, article 91 of the Islamic Penal Code excludes the death penalty if the juvenile offender did not understand the nature of the crime or its consequences, or if there are doubts about the their mental capacity.

"Iran has willingly ratified treaties that oblige the country to not use the death penalty for individuals under the age of 18," Bahareh Davis, Amnesty International's researcher on Iran, told IBTimes UK.

"Saman Naseem was 17 at the time of the crime he was accused of, he should have never been sentenced to death. The authorities' treatment of his case is in breach of both international human rights law and Iran's domestic laws," she continued.

Amnesty also warned that Naseem was not allowed to see his lawyer during investigations, a violation of international standards of a fair trial.

Davis also said that Naseem told his family he was tortured and beaten at the Orumiyeh prison, north-western Iran, where he is being detained.

"The latest development on the case is deeply concerning. He was beaten for several hours by men, apparently from the Ministry of Intelligence, who had cameras and recording devices, in order to force him to make another video-taped 'confession'," Davis said.

"In 2014 Iran said that authorities exercised due diligence when dealing with cases involving juveniles, yet we keep seeing these shocking cases where people are unfairly sentenced to death and are subjected to prolonged torture and are forced to make 'confessions' that are used against them," she continued.

"We are gravely concerned and we continue to campaign and ask the authorities to immediately halt Naseem's execution and give his case a judicial review."

At least 2 people executed every day

Iran has 1 of the highest rates of executions in the world. Some of the executions, mainly by hanging, are carried out against minorities and opponents of the government.

"Executions for national security offences are common in Iran. Those accused of such offences are usually held in solitary confinement for long periods and generally do not have access to lawyers," Davis said.

"Lawyers are also prevented from reading the casefiles and are often denied adequate time to prepare defence. Individuals from ethnic minority groups also face a greater risk of being sentenced to death for national security offences."

In a previous interview with IBTimes UK, Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, spokesperson of NGO Iran Human Rights (IHR) said: "On average more than 2 people are executed every day."

The country sparked worldwide outrage after it executed Reyhaneh Jabbari, a 26-year-old woman charged with the murder of a man who allegedly attempted to rape her.

(source: International Business Times)

*******************************

Amnesty blasts imminent execution of young Kurdish prisoner in Iran

Amnesty International (AI) has expressed disbelief that Iranian authorities plan to execute 22-year-old Kurdish prisoner Saman Naseem on Thursday, noting he was tortured as a teenager to "confess" to alleged crimes.

"That the Iranian authorities are preparing to put to death a young man who's been tortured for 97 days to 'confess' when he was 17 years old beggars belief," the London???based watchdog???s deputy regional director Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said in a statement last week.

"With less than a week left before he is due to be executed, there is no time to waste," she added. "Saman's execution must be immediately stopped and his case thoroughly reviewed."

According to Amnesty, Saman was arrested in July 2011 following a gun battle between Iranian Revolutionary Guards and the outlawed Party For Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK), in the city of Sardasht.

He was sentenced to death by a Revolutionary Court in January 2012 in Mahabad for "enmity against God" and "corruption on earth," and his death sentence was confirmed for the second time by the Supreme Court in December 2013.

"After his arrest, he was held in a Ministry of Intelligence detention center without any access to his family or a lawyer," AI wrote in a special report on his case.

In a letter published by AI, Saman said that Iranian prison officials had tortured him for 97 days when he was a teenager to force him to "confess" to a crime, before sentencing him to death.

In the letter last week Saman said he had been kept in a tiny cell and constantly tortured, until he was forced to put his fingerprints on confession papers, admitting that he had taken up arms against the state.

"This is the reality of the criminal justice system in Iran, which makes a mockery of its own statements that it does not execute children and upholds its obligations under the Convention on the Rights of the Child," he said in his letter.

Amnesty's statement urges people to appeal to Iranian leaders on Saman's behalf, "Reminding them that Iran has ratified both the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which strictly prohibit the use of the death penalty against people who were below 18 years of age at the time of the crime."

"During the first days, the level of torture was so severe that it left me unable to walk. All my body was black and blue. They hung me from my hands and feet for hours. I was blindfolded during the whole period of interrogations and torture, and could not see the interrogation and torture officers," Saman's prison letter read.

According to AI, Saman's family was not informed of his arrest and learned about it from state TV, where he was shown "confessing" to "taking part in armed activities against the state."

Saman said in his letter that he was not allowed contact with his family and that during his trial the judge had threatened him with more torture.

"They repeatedly told me that they had arrested my family members including my father, my mother, and my brother. They told me that they would kill me right there and would cover my grave with cement," read his letter. "When I wanted to sleep during nights, they would not let me rest by making noises using different devices, including by constantly banging on the door. I was in a state between madness and consciousness," he wrote.

AI says that Saman retracted his earlier "confession" during the trial and said that "he fired into the air and not towards the Revolutionary Guards."

"Iran's deplorable practice of torturing people into 'confessing' to crimes before sentencing them to death must stop immediately. Imposing the death penalty on someone who was a child when the alleged crime took place goes against international human rights laws that Iran has committed to respect," AI's Sahraoui said in her statement.

(source: rudaw.net)

INDONESIA:

Bali 9: Australians will not be executed this month, says official ---- Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran's transfer postponed because prison at Nusa Kambangan where execution was due to be carried out is not ready

Convicted Australian drug smugglers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan will not be moved from their Bali prison for execution this week, Indonesian authorities say, and it is unlikely executions will take place this month.

A spokesman for Indonesia's attorney general said the prisoners' transfer had been delayed because the prison at Nusa Kambangan, where they will be executed, is not yet ready.

Spokesman Tony Spontana said: "I cannot be sure how many days it will take to finish this preparation but I can guarantee the executions will not take place this month, if there are no extraordinary changes."

Spontana also said the Australian government had asked for Chan and Sukumaran to have more time to spend with their families.

"I'm sure this week there won't be any transfers," he told reporters in Jakarta on Tuesday.

A team from the attorney general's department had inspected Nusa Kambangan and found issues that must be resolved before moving the prisoners, Spontana said.

Problems had arisen because of the plan to execute more than 5 people there. "The space for the executions and the isolation cells will need some adjustments," he said.

Spontana said there were already 5 prisoners in the space reserved and on seeing this, the team realised no others would fit.

"We will immediately develop this facility to make it broader," he said. "It will take time because the breadth is 5 metres right now. The execution site right now is also only technically suitable for 5 people."

He said adjustments would have to be made or an alternative place found.

Spontana also indicated that Brazilian national Rodrigo Gularte, who is on death row for a drug offence, would not be executed while questions remain about the state of his mental health.

"We have also received letters from the head of the Nusa Kambangan prison about one of the inmates showing indications of mental illness. He has already asked the attorney general's office to have Mr Gularte checked at a hospital outside the prison because there are limited medical facilities at the prison," he said.

"We have to make sure he is fully recovered before the execution."

No date has been announced for the executions, which will also include prisoners from France, Nigeria and the Philippines.

Kerobokan prison governor Sudjonggo told reporters on Tuesday afternoon he had no knowledge of a postponement to the transfers. "I haven't received any notification of that," he said.

At Kerobokan prison on Tuesday, Sukumaran's sister, Brintha, and other family members removed several large bags of books, mostly on art and painting.

Sukumaran's friend, the artist Ben Quilty, wrote on his Facebook page: "Myu is clearing out his studio today. And my heart is broken."

Officials said on Monday that the pair would be transferred this week. Lawyers for Chan and Sukumaran had said they should not be moved to the prison where the execution would take place while the legal process continued.

The lawyers said they had new indications their last-ditch legal appeal was moving forward. They are appealing against the decision not to grant clemency made by the president, Joko Widodo, on the basis that Indonesia was facing a "drug emergency".

Speaking to reporters in Jakarta on Monday afternoon, Lubis said the legal team had been summoned to a meeting with the head of the administrative court next week.

"This is prima facie evidence that the legal process is still ongoing," Lubis said. "I hope this legal process will be respected by the attorney general and all parts of the government.

"So they cannot move them, not to mention execute them, while the legal process is still going on." But the attorney general made no mention of any link between the appeals and the delay.

On Tuesday afternoon Indonesia's foreign minister, Retno Marsudi, stressed that the application of the death penalty is in accordance with due process.

"The death penalty is part of the law of Indonesia," she said. "It is implemented as a last resort for the most serious of crimes. The decision is taken by our judicial system, which is independent and impartial.

"In the application of the death penalty Indonesia has ensured that due process of law is fully adhered to and that all credible legal avenues are undertaken in accordance with the Indonesian legal system.

"The decision to enforce the death penalty is not directed to a particular country."

Marsudi also said that Indonesia's fight against drugs had entered a "critical stage" and that drugs had "ruined the lives of many hardworking Indonesians".

On bilateral issues with Australia, Marsudi stressed Indonesia's sovereignty and said the case in hand was a legal, rather than political situation.

"Although we understand the position of the Australian government, it should be underlined that this issue is purely a law enforcement issue, law enforcement against an extraordinary crime."

Quilty is organising a vigil for Myuran in Sydney on Wednesday night. The event, at the Sukumarans??? church in Sydney's west will feature speakers such as radio host Alan Jones. Chaser member Craig Reucassel will act as MC.

Eddie Perfect is hosting a similiar event organised by the artist Matthew Sleeth in Melbourne. Justice Lex Lasry will speak at the Federation Square event and Missy Higgins will perform music. Representatives of the Chan and Sukumaran families will attend.

An event is also being planned in Perth on Wednesday night.

(source: The Guardian)

**************************

Australians' transfer to Indonesia execution site delayed

The transfer of 2 Australians to an Indonesian island prison for execution will not go ahead this week as planned, the attorney-general's office said Tuesday, as Canberra pressed for their lives to be spared.

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, ringleaders of the so-called Bali 9 heroin trafficking group, were to be transported this week to the high-security prison for their execution, followed by several other prisoners whose appeals for mercy have also been rejected.

Indonesian authorities have confirmed the Australians will be among the next group to face the firing squad, but have remained tight-lipped about which foreign convicts will join them or when the execution will take place.

But attorney-general's spokesman Tony Spontana announced Tuesday the prisoners would not be moved to Nusakambangan Island, off the main island of Java, until a date for their execution had been determined.

"It is delayed. The transfer will not be done this week," he told AFP.

"The transfer of the convicts will be carried out closer to the execution date."

Spontana insisted the executions would proceed, but the prisoners would only be taken to the island prison 3 days beforehand. Death row inmates must be given 72 hours' notice under Indonesian law before facing the firing squad.

The decision to delay the move was made after the Australian government asked for more time for the families to be with their loved ones, Spontana said.

Logistical difficulties involving capacity at Nusakambangan were also cited as a reason.

The Australians and five other foreigners -- including citizens from France, Ghana, Brazil and Nigeria -- have already lost their appeals for presidential clemency, the final hope of avoiding the firing squad.

Legal and diplomatic efforts to save the Australians have escalated in recent weeks, with every surviving former prime minister of Australia urging Jakarta on Tuesday to spare their lives.

Australia's current government has urged Indonesia -- which faced a diplomatic outcry last month when it executed six drug offenders including five foreigners -- not to proceed, particularly while last-ditch legal measures are being pursued.

Lawyers for the pair have a court date next Tuesday to examine their claim that Indonesian President Joko Widodo did not follow the rules in rejecting Chan and Sukumaran's clemency bids.

- Act of mercy -

Widodo has been a vocal supporter of capital punishment and has vowed a tough approach to ending what he has called Indonesia's "drug emergency".

He has shocked rights groups with his support for executions, as they had hoped he would take a softer line on capital punishment.

The case of the so-called Bali 9 ringleaders is being followed closely in Australia, a key tourism market for the Indonesian island.

In an unusual show of unity, all surviving former prime ministers on Tuesday made a plea to spare the men.

"They committed a very serious crime but have demonstrated genuine rehabilitation," said John Howard, whose conservative government began efforts to save the pair during his term in office.

"Mercy being shown in such circumstances would not weaken the deterrent effect of Indonesia's strong anti-drugs laws."

From Malcolm Fraser, prime minister from 1975 to 1983, to his successors Bob
Hawke, Paul Keating, Howard, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard, they provided their support for clemency in comments to The Australian newspaper.

"We are very much opposed to the death penalty in Australia," said Fraser.

Rudd, who succeeded Howard as prime minister in 2007, said as a "deep, long-standing friend of Indonesia" he would "respectfully request an act of clemency".

Current Prime Minister Tony Abbott has also spoken strongly against the planned executions, warning Canberra will make its displeasure felt if they go ahead.

(source: Yahoo News)

********************

No mercy: Indonesia executions to go ahead, says Attorney-General

Indonesia has spurned all appeals to spare convicts sentenced to death for drug trafficking, as it makes preparations to execute a new set that includes 2 Australians and a Nigerian.

Even as the transfer of 2 Australians on death row in Indonesia to an island for execution was delayed , the country's attorney-general, H.M. Prasetyo said the execution will go on.

Every surviving former prime minister of Australia has joined the chorus of appeals on Jakarta to spare Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran from the firing squad.

"We are responding to the requests from the Australian government and families," Prasetyo told The Sydney Morning Herald of the postponement.

"We want the families to meet with Myuran and Andrew, to give them more time to be with the convicts on death row. This is not delaying the executions. This is just to provide the families with more time."

Chan, 31, and Sukumaran, 33, were sentenced to death in 2006 over their roles as ringleaders of a plot to smuggle heroin from Indonesia's Bali island to Australia.

They were set to be transported to a high-security prison on the island of Nusakambangan ahead of their execution as early as Wednesday, although no firm date has been announced.

Several other foreigners on death row whose clemency appeals have also been rejected, including from Brazil, France, Ghana, Nigeria and the Philippines, were also expected to be transferred soon.

Prasetyo said he did not know how much more time Chan and Sukumaran would be given, and reiterated that no date had yet been set for the executions.

"This is not something easy. This is not something fun but this is what we must do," he said. "The law states that they have to be executed once clemency has been rejected by the president."

Australia has urged Indonesia - which faced a diplomatic outcry last month when it executed 6 drug offenders including 5 foreigners - not to proceed, particularly while last-ditch legal measures are being pursued.

Chan and Sukumaran's lawyers reportedly have a court date next week to look at claims Indonesian President Joko Widodo did not follow the rules in rejecting their clemency bids.

"They cannot transfer, they cannot move Chan and Sukumaran, let alone kill them, while the legal process is going on," Todong Mulya Lubis told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

- Act of mercy -

Widodo has been a vocal supporter of capital punishment and has vowed a tough approach to ending what he has called Indonesia's "drug emergency".

The case of the so-called Bali 9 ringleaders is being followed closely in Australia, a key tourism market for the Indonesian island.

In an unusual show of unity, all of Australia's surviving former prime ministers on Tuesday made a last-ditch plea to spare the men.

"They committed a very serious crime but have demonstrated genuine rehabilitation," said John Howard, whose conservative government began efforts to save the pair during his term in office.

"Mercy being shown in such circumstances would not weaken the deterrent effect of Indonesia's strong anti-drugs laws."

From Malcolm Fraser, prime minister from 1975 to 1983, to his successors Bob
Hawke, Paul Keating, Howard, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard, all the former leaders provided their support for clemency in comments to The Australian newspaper.

"We are very much opposed to the death penalty in Australia," said Fraser while Gillard added: "I personally would find it heartbreaking if such extraordinary efforts to become of good character were not met with an act of mercy, of recognition of change."

(source: News Nigeria)

********************

Lindsay Sandiford: Death row Redcar gran's sister travels to Bali in last ditch attempt to save her life

The sister of Redcar gran Lindsay Sandiford who could be executed in weeks, has flown to Bali in a last ditch attempt to save her life.

Hilary Parsons is reported to have gone to the Indonesian island with 3 lawyers in a bid to save her 58-year-old sister's life.

Sandiford is facing death by firing squad after she was convicted of trying to smuggle 1.6 million pounds worth of cocaine into Bali in May 2012.

She claims she was forced to transport the drugs to protect her son, whose safety was at stake.

Sandiford, originally from Redcar but now of Cheltenham, currently has no legal representation and cannot afford to pay for a lawyer, which means she had been denied the opportunity to fully challenge her death penalty and the right to file for clemency.

And 2 other Bali prisoners - Australian ringleaders of a heroin smuggling ring are facing death by firing squad in what could be a matter of days.

The executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran were said to be in the final stages of preparation.

Representatives of Indonesia's legal department were reported to be meeting Australian officials in Jakarta to discuss the execution.

Indonesia's Attorney General was reported to have said the prisoners will be transferred to the place where they will face the firing squad "in a matter of days".

It is understand that Sandiford has 1 last legal attempt at saving her own life which is to ask for a judicial review of her case.

Recently-elected President, Joko Widodo has said he will show "no mercy" to people sentenced to death for serious drug offences and so far he has held to his word with the execution last month of 6 prisoners for drug-linked offences.

However, the Attorney General's Department has made it clear that no-one will be put to death until they have exhausted every possible legal avenue.

The Foreign Office has previously said that it had consistently provided and offered consular support to Sandiford, which she at the time declined to accept.

(source: Gazette Live)

TURKEY:

Death penalty is not solution, says Ozgecan's father

The father of Ozgecan Aslan, a 20-year-old student who was brutally killed in southern Turkey, has said a return of capital punishment is not the solution, amid debates over increasing the penalties for such crimes.

"[The death penalty] may return to dissuade [from committing crimes], but it is not a solution ... People should learn to control themselves instead. Let's surrender to the good while there is still peace," Mehmet Aslan said on Feb. 16, as reported by daily Cumhuriyet.

"Our only demand is that justice is served," he added.

Songul Aslan, Ozgecan's mother, demanded those who were responsible for the death of her daughter serve the sentence they deserved.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has expressed his hope that the "common awareness" that has emerged after Ozgecan's death might save the lives of many other women, praising her father's reaction. Davutoglu added that a new action plan against violence against women would be prepared.

Naciye Tan, the mother of Ozgecan's murderer, 26-year-old Ahmet Suphi Altindoken, has also said she shared the sorrow of Ozgecan's family, adding that she was also subjected to violence from Altindoken's father.

"No child is born a murderer, a thief or a terrorist. Everyone is born an angel. There are many things behind what has turned him into this," Tan said.

"I could not protect my child. His father tended to violence. We have been separated for years. I did not want our children to be raised with their father. I was subjected to violence from my husband, but could not tell anyone," she added.

"I know my son doesn't have the right to kill someone. I could never accept that. I haven't seen him since this incident," Tan said.

She also said that she wanted to meet with Ozgecan's family to express her sorrow, adding that she also has a daughter.

US embassy releases message for Ozgecan

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara posted a Tweet on Feb. 18 to express sorrow over the death of Aslan, condemning all acts of violence against women.

"We wish to express our deepest sorrow over the murder of Ozgecan Aslan. We strongly condemn this heinous crime and all acts of violence against women around the world," the embassy stated.

(source: Hurriyet Daily News)

**********************

EU Minister: "Reintroduction of death penalty not on agenda"

Turkish EU Minister and Chief Negotiator Volkan Bozkir stated that although death penalty was discussed at the last cabinet meeting on Monday, the reintroduction of the punishment is not on the agenda.

Minister Bozkir answered the questions of press members about claims that the government tends to reintroduce death penalty after the brutal murder of university student Ozgecan Aslan, at the opening ceremony of "Enhancement of the Vocational Education Quality and Youngsters' Professional Qualifications Project" where he attended along with Minister of Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Celik.

"Death Penalty was discussed at the last cabinet meeting. I have expressed my own opinions as an EU Minister. Death penalty was fully removed from the legislations in constitution of our country in 2004. This is an important factor in EU membership process. None of the European countries imposing this punishment currently. I think life sentence is sufficient method. The reintroduction of the death sentence in not on the agenda of our government," Bozkir said.

(source: cihan.com)

ISRAEL:

Liberman says he'll legislate death penalty for terrorists----Slamming government for releasing security prisoners, FM says Israel 'constantly creates and strengthens their hope'

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman called for the death penalty for terrorists Tuesday, harshly criticizing previous Israeli governments for agreeing to free thousands of security prisoners.

"We have to signal that we're changing direction. No more deals [to release prisoners]. Rather, the opposite: The 1st law that we will propose in the next Knesset will be the death penalty for terrorists. We must not give them hope," he said at a conference in Tel Aviv.

Given that the death penalty exists in the United States, and the fact that Jordan and Egypt bombed Islamic State targets in response to the killings of its respective citizens, Israel has no choice but to start executing terrorists, the foreign minister argued. "Otherwise we invite more terror and yet more terror."

Liberman said that global terrorism is currently the world's foremost challenge, and that Israel in particular must drastically alter the way it deals with terrorists.

"We created hope for terrorist organizations, all the terrorists who fight against Israel. Instead of building an iron wall and telling them they have no chance [because] we will fight, we constantly create and strengthen their hope," he said.

"Time and again we release groups of terrorists, and each of them has hope. They're not afraid; they know that at the end of the day we will surrender," Liberman added. "e released thousands of terrorists over the last decades, terrorists responsible for the most horrible attacks. It???s simply a wrong message. It encourages terrorism and creates more terrorists."

In theory, capital punishment exists in Israel (for war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide, treason and crimes against the Jewish people), but it hasn't been implemented since the execution of Adolf Eichman in 1962. Right-wing politicians have indicated support in principle for the death penalty for terrorists, but a law that would establish a minimum punishment for a crime as loosely defined as "terrorism" would likely be struck down by the Supreme Court.

Speaking at the annual conference of the Institute for National Security Studies, Liberman criticized the conduct of the outgoing government - of which he was a member - during last summer's Operation Protective Edge in Gaza, arguing that the war's ambiguous outcome invited future attacks from the strip. It was clear that at least 1 more round of violence with Hamas in Gaza was inevitable, he lamented, saying Israel should strive for a "decisive victory" in every military campaign. Otherwise, he added, "we will simply lose out big time."

Liberman lauded the international community's resolve to fight the Islamic State group, praising Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and Jordanian King Abdullah II for having launched airstrikes at the terrorist group, and US President Barack Obama for seeking authorization to launch a ground operation against it.

He posited that present-day terrorists were similar to the Nazis in that they sanctify death as a supreme value and were interested in martyrdom and killing as many innocents as possible.

"That's the essence of modern terror. They live to die and aren't rational actors," Liberman said. "The Nazi regime likewise wasn't rational; it was guided by various insane ideologies. They were ready to fight the entire world. Today, we face the same in a different version."

(source: Times of Israel)