Feb. 19

EGYPT:

In a final verdict, 4 sentenced to death for 2006 rape in Egypt----The verdict sentences also 5 to life, and a minor to 15 yrs in prison on in the same case in Kafr El-Sheikh in 2006

Egypt's Court of Cassation has upheld the death sentence on 4 defendants to death, 5 others to life in prison, and a minor to 15 years in prison after they were convicted of raping a woman in Egypt's Nile Delta governorate of Kafr El-Sheikh in 2006.

The attack on the victim took place when a group of men kidnapped her in the Nile Delta city before alternately raping her.

A criminal court issued a preliminary death sentence for the four defendants in November 2014.

Upon hearing the verdict, the families of the convicted broke down.

Meanwhile, the convicted defendants desperately repeated verse from the Quran "We Belong to God and to Him we shall return."

Egyptian law punishes crimes of rape with the death penalty.

The government has also recently stiffened prison sentences for crimes of sexual assault and harrasment.

(source: Ahram Online)