April 8

KANSAS:

Death penalty is wrong

I've been commiserating for the last several months with people of all types and persuasions regarding the sad state of financial affairs in Kansas. Facts do not seem to sway the general public, so I would like to play upon the conscience of Kansans.

Unlike many things, religion is a subject I know a thing or two about. What religion encourages us to be part of a society of constant wars and killings? None of them.

Abraham, Jesus Christ and the Prophet Mohammed all agree on at least two notions - love God above all else and treat every person as your brother.

The death penalty is not just wrong from a religious perspective; it is also a terrible drain financially and it puts us at risk of murdering an innocent person. In a state that puts so much energy into "pro-life" legislation, we seem to forget we still enforce the death penalty. Our state leaders continue to believe we can kill our problems away; that some lives are meaningless. With this I certainly disagree.

GEORGE M MELBY, Kansas City, Kan.

(source: Letter to the Editor, Topeka Capital Journal)

ARIZONA:

Murder suspect may avoid death penalty

James Rankin-McKnight, facing the death penalty if he's convicted by a jury on a murder charge, may actually avoid the trial process altogether, if his lawyer has his way.

Kim Cotter, 55, was found stabbed to death in November 2012, and police arrested 2 men, Rankin-McKnight, 25; and Ryan Skinner, 23, who were living in a unit adjoining Cotter's residence in the 1500 block of South Highway 89 in Chino Valley.

Police executed a search warrant, found evidence they said linked the 2 suspects to the attack, and booked the 2 suspects into the Yavapai County jail.

In March 2013, charges of murder, burglary and evidence tampering were dismissed against Ryan Skinner.

Rankin-McKnight faces the same charges and, in a separate case, 4 counts of aggravated assault and 1 count of deadly assault by a prisoner.

On Monday, April 6, his lead attorney, Tom Kelly, said in court that he had mental health evaluations from 3 doctors that "should stimulate some discussion for a non-trial resolution," a plea agreement, which would allow his client to bypass the death penalty.

Deputy County Attorney Dana Owens said she had just received the hundreds of pages of material and hadn't yet read it, and added that she might want to speak with the doctors after she did.

Superior Court Judge Tina Ainley set a new date to go over the material's impact in June.

Rankin-McKnight is currently scheduled for a February 2016 trial.

(source: The Daily Courier)

CALIFORNIA:

Californians Respond To Ballot Initiative To Kill Gays With Shellfish Suppression Act And 'Jackass' Act

After sodomite suppression comes shellfish suppression.

A lawyer named Matt McLaughlin filed a ballot initiative with the California's Department of Justice in February to enact the "Sodomite Suppression Act," which calls for the killing of anyone who engages in sodomy. (Never mind that the death penalty was ruled unconstitutional in the state last June.)

"Seeing that it is better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God's just wrath against us for the folly of tolerating-wickedness in our midst, the People of California wisely command, in the fear of God, that any person who willingly touches another person of the same gender for purposes of sexual gratification be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method," McLaughlin wrote.

Now, other Californians are responding with some new ballot initiatives of their own -- like the "Shellfish Suppression Act" and the "Intolerant Jackass Act." Joe Decker of San Jose proposed the legislation against shellfish, writing: "Shellfish are a monstrous evil that Almighty God, giver of freedom and liberty, commands us in Leviticus to suppress. They also smell bad." Leviticus calls the consumption of "all that have not fins and scales in the seas" an abomination. Those who consume or sell shellfish, Decker wrote, should be subject to a $666,000 fine or a prison term of 6 years, 6 months and 6 days. (Get it?)

The Intolerant Jackass Act by Charlotte Laws of Woodland Hills calls for anti-gay individuals to attend sensitivity training and donate $5,000 to an LGBT organization.

The back and forth is possible because California allows residents to pay $200 to submit initiatives that could be added to the ballot, provided the initiative gets signatures from 5 % of the state's populace.

As for McLaughlin, the state Legislature's LGBT Caucus wrote to the State Bar last month requesting an investigation into McLaughlin's ability to practice law after he advocated to "legalize the murder" of gay people, according to the Sacramento Bee.

(source: Huffington Post)

WASHINGTON:

Joseph McEnroe's mother, aunt give conflicting testimony

Jurors deciding the fate of convicted Carnation killer Joseph McEnroe heard conflicting testimony Tuesday from his mother and his aunt in the death-penalty phase of his trial.

The mother and an aunt of convicted Carnation killer Joseph McEnroe, testifying in his effort to avoid the death penalty, told a King County jury Tuesday two very different stories about his upbringing.

Sean Johnson, Joseph McEnroe's mother, insisted she was a loving mother who taught him to sing the Don Ho classic "Tiny Bubbles." The 57-year-old Portland woman said she relied on McEnroe, her eldest, to take care of her three younger children.

However, her sister, Mary Turner, of Portland, portrayed McEnroe???s upbringing as a nightmare caused by a mentally and economically unstable mother. She said Johnson beat her nephew, verbally abused him, demanded that he keep things in order at home and used him to manipulate her own parents for money.

Both women, along with McEnroe's siblings, told the Superior Court jury that they know McEnroe killed a family of 6 in Carnation on Christmas Eve 2007, but that they were taking the stand out of love and support for him.

"I love my nephew unconditionally. No matter what," Turner told the jury. "He's been my Joey ever since he was born and he will be so until the day God takes him home."

McEnroe, 36, was convicted last month of 6 counts of aggravated murder in the shootings of 6 members of his former girlfriend's family in Carnation. The jury that found him guilty is now being asked to determine whether he should be condemned to death or be given a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of release.

While on the witness stand Monday, McEnroe told the jury that the ex-girlfriend, Michele Anderson, convinced him to kill her parents, Wayne and Judy Anderson, as well as her brother, Scott Anderson, his wife, Erica Anderson, and their two children, 5-year-old Olivia Anderson and 3-year-old Nathan Anderson.

McEnroe slapped himself on the head and cried when he recalled the killings. He said that Michele Anderson convinced him that her family had wronged her and they were out to get them, so they had to be killed.

McEnroe testified that he only planned to act "as a backup" to make sure his then-girlfriend "was safe." Instead, he said, she failed at fulfilling her portion of the murder plot, leaving him to take a lead role in the slaughter and crime-scene cleanup.

"If you hate me, I hate me too. I hate me so much I can't handle being with myself sometimes," an emotional McEnroe told the jury.

According to testimony, McEnroe and Michele Anderson armed themselves and drove their pickup to the home of her 60-year-old father and 61-year-old mother on the afternoon of Dec. 24, 2007.

Once inside, McEnroe distracted Judy Anderson, while Michele shot at her father. After Michele's gun jammed, McEnroe said he shot her parents.

The 2 then hid the bodies and cleaned the home. They waited for Scott and Erica Anderson, both 32, and their children to show up at the holiday gathering, McEnroe testified.

Once they arrived, Michele Anderson shot her brother, according to trial testimony. McEnroe then shot Erica Anderson and the children because he didn't want witnesses, King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Scott O'Toole earlier told the jury.

During 2 days on the witness stand Friday and Monday, McEnroe talked about his rough upbringing, describing a life where he was often the main caregiver for his siblings while their mother was at work or out with her boyfriends. He told the jury how he met Michele Anderson online and how he loved her family.

McEnroe is expected to return to the witness stand later this week for cross-examination by O'Toole.

Michele Anderson is to be tried later on the same capital charges.

(source: Seattle Times)

USA:

After The Rhetoric, The True Cost Of Capital Punishment

Following political mantras to their logical conclusions on societal issues can sometimes reveal a mantra's inherent lack of logic. For instance, if small-government conservatives would abide by the results of applying their "less government, less spending" mantra to capital punishment, not a one would support the practice.

The simple reason is that capital cases involve more government activity and more taxpayer dollars than non-capital cases. This has been confirmed in study after study. Capital cases require longer trial preparation times, extended jury selection phases, lengthier trials, an additional sentencing trial following a guilty verdict, and an enormously expensive and time-consuming appeals process.

[Tough-on-crime death penalty supporters] showcase their vitriol on high profile capital cases like Tsarnaev's while flying blind to the stifling systemic realities of capital punishment.

Advancing a data-based anti-death penalty argument amid a trial as emotionally wrenching as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's can make one appear unsympathetic to victims. But there's a compelling case to be made that such an argument displays greater compassion for victims than the unnuanced absolutism of the loudest death-penalty proponents. An anti-death penalty caller to a typical talk radio show is inevitably thrashed as a soft-headed coddler of murderers. Lost in the hosts' bombast is the impact of capital cases on current and future crime victims.

In a contest of death penalty aphorisms, "an eye for an eye" should be countered with "justice delayed is justice denied." Outsized government expenditures paired with courtroom-hogging trials and appellate hearings slow the wheels of justice. Victims of crimes that don't get much attention - simple assaults, burglaries, identity theft - deal with prosecutor's offices overburdened by death penalty appellate expenses and court dockets clogged by death penalty motions. Cases move slower. Justice gets delayed.

This reality upends the arguments of tough-on-crime death penalty supporters. They showcase their vitriol on high profile capital cases like Tsarnaev's while flying blind to the stifling systemic realities of capital punishment.

Even law enforcement officials in leading death penalty states have questioned the cost of the measure. "I know now that if I file a capital murder case and don't seek the death penalty, the expense is much less,": James Farren, the District Attorney of Randall County in the Texas panhandle, told the Marshall Project last December. "While I know that justice is not for sale, if I bankrupt the county, and we simply don't have any money, and the next day someone goes into a daycare and guns down 5 kids, what do I say? Sorry?" In Jasper County, Texas, near the Louisiana border, the trials of 3 men who dragged an African-American man to death behind their pickup truck in 1998 cost taxpayers $731,000, which doesn't include continued appeals for 1 of the defendants (another was executed in 2011; the 3rd received life in prison). The tax rate increase for the county was 8 % in the trial years, compared to the usual 5 %.

It's ironic that officeholders who sign oaths against tax hikes and attack food stamp and other aid programs voice such ardent support for a system with such onerous financial and organizational outcomes. Ironic, but not surprising.

It's ironic that officeholders who sign oaths against tax hikes and attack food stamp and other aid programs voice such ardent support for a system with such onerous financial and organizational outcomes. Ironic, but not surprising. Trumpeting the ultimate penalty against repellent individuals scores easy points, especially when the ripple effect on other victims and the justice system itself goes unnoticed.

Whether Tsarnaev, or the Texas white supremacists who dragged James Byrd Jr. to death, or any other killers deserve to die is only 1/2 the question. Decoupling this emotive half of the debate from its prosaic flipside - namely, the costs and systemic impacts of capital punishment - is intellectually assailable. Society should demand a braver reckoning from its leaders and itself.

(source: WBUR.org)

*************************

Is the death penalty more trouble than it's worth?

According to national polls Americans are still in favor of the death penalty. However, while still a majority, the number of us in favor of capital punishment has declined. And so has the use of capital punishment. States just aren't as keen on using the ultimate punishment as they once were. For example Virginia hasn't carried out an execution since 2013. That's noteworthy since for a time the Commonwealth was running second behind Texas in the number of executions. It was a dubious distinction.

While several states have backed off in their use capital punishment, 18 states outlaw it altogether, there are some who are keen to use it no matter what. However, you have to wonder if it???s more trouble than it's worth. The preferred method of execution is lethal injection. While, originally conceived as a sort of antiseptic alternative to more violent forms of execution, it's run into problems. There have been botched executions and serious questions about the humaneness of this method of putting people to death.

Also, after 20 years of cheerfully supplying America with its execution drugs the large European drug firms that made them have suddenly developed a conscience and are refusing to sell them to states for executions. Even the large compounding pharmacies, based in the US, have gone on record in opposition to supplying these drugs.

So, what is a state to do if you can't use lethal injection?

Why, do what Utah did, and go back to the firing squad. Yes, it's as creepy as it sounds. Under Utah's approach to the ultimate penalty, law enforcement officers, apparently by the hundreds, now that's really scary, volunteer to be a part of the handful of men who actually get to shoot the prisoner. Other states, almost all of them in the west or south, with their execution drugs no longer available, are looking at proposals to bring back the electric chair or even returning to hanging.

But does this really make sense? Sure, we all, from time to time, have that desire to give some of the heinous criminals what's coming to them. It's certainly hard to work up much sympathy to the surviving Boston Marathon bomber. But from a societal perspective, particularly in a highly developed civilization such as ours, does the death penalty make sense anymore?

There is 1strong objection to the death penalty that's hard to refute, and that's what happens when someone is wrongly convicted? This happens a lot more than most people realize. During the past 20 years, some 10 death row inmates, and many more cases are pending, have been exonerated and released. The reasons vary, but include faulty evidence, prosecutorial misconduct or incompetent defense. Thomas Jefferson, an early advocate for reining in the use of capital punishment based some of his objection on the inevitable fallibility of the justice system. He had a point.

Support for the death penalty makes a good sound bite. But, it's expensive, potentially fallible, and to a lot of people seems inordinately barbaric. It's also, if the statistics are to be believed, not applied in a uniform basis. The race of the killer and the victim seems to play an inordinate role in its imposition. A better option, which has only recently come into wide use, is a sentence of "life without parole." The availability of this alternative is the biggest reason the number of executions in the U.S. has fallen. It seems a reasonable progression away from the death penalty, something the public can accept and who knows maybe, finally, someday, maybe the ultimate punishment will simply fall out of use.

(source: The Journal)

**********************

Death penalty too unreliable, outdated

The state of Utah recently passed a bill into law that would allow the state to use a firing squad as a death penalty. This method would only be used if lethal injections were not an option at the time of an inmate's scheduled death. This comes in the wake of a shortage of lethal injection drugs - which, according to NPR, the state currently has none of - and multiple botched injections.

Utah was the last state to use the firing squad as a death penalty and that case in 2010 was the most recent inmate put to death by the state, according to the NPR article. Firing squads were no longer legal in the state after 2004 until this year. Inmates can only select this as a method if they were sentenced to the death penalty before the year in which the law expired.

Unfortunately, with the implementation of the law, society seems to be taking a step backward into the past instead of progressing. No matter the form of the death penalty, it is a barbaric practice with no place in our society today. This new yet old form of the death penalty should serve as a wake-up call for our country to this outdated punishment for our country's worst criminals.

No matter the theory about what method of the death penalty is the most humane or the argument for or against the firing squad, is the death penalty itself the most logical form of punishment we have? Many prisoners who are on death row are there because they have taken the life of another. Is punishing killing with killing morally correct or the best option for retribution our country has?

In 2014 alone, 3 lethal injections in the United States were botched, according to the Death Penalty Information Center's website. The three inmates each gasped for air or breathed heavily for at least 25 minutes. If mistakes in executions can be this frequent, should our states or country subject these people to the possibility of this kind of suffering?

Along with the moral question surrounding the death penalty and other forms of penalties is the question of whether there are proper alternatives for punishment. Life in prison without parole is perhaps the best sentence for our country's worst criminals. This punishment would force the criminals to spend their lives serving time for the horrible crimes they committed.

With the elimination of the death penalty as a punishment, the question of prison overpopulation in our prison system is raised. However, at the current rate, the number of inmates put to death is minuscule compared to the total prison population. During the last 5 years, an average of just more than 41 criminals have been put to death in the United States, according to the Death Penalty Information Center's website. Also, the number of those executed in the United States has fallen or stayed the same every year since 2009.

Putting aside the moral argument, the death penalty is a greater financial burden than seeking a punishment like life without parole for criminals. The cost comes in the court cases leading up to the death sentence. According to a report by the Kansas Judicial Council and reported by Forbes, defense in a case seeking the death penalty costs four times the amount as those that do not. Also according to the Forbes article, the Washington Bar Association found that death penalty cases cost an average of $470,000 more than a similar case without the punishment as a possibility.

Taking into account the financial implications, the moral questions and the issues surrounding methods of executions, should our states be finding more barbaric ways to implement the death penalty? If all of these questions remain, can our country morally sentence our inmates to death?

(source: Editorial Board; The Iowa State (University) Daily)

*****************

Hispanic Evangelicals call for death penalty repeal ---- They are the 1st national association of evangelical congregations to take a position in favour of death penalty repeal. Many Catholic groups support them.

In a unanimous vote on Friday March 27, the National Latino Evangelical Coalition (NaLEC) urged its 3,000 member congregations to end capital punishment across the country.

The announcement was made in Orlando, where NaLEC leadership voted in favour of capital punishment repeal.

"As Christ followers, we are called to work toward justice for all", Coalition President, and lead pastor at Lamb's Church in New York, Gabriel Salguero, stated. "And as Latinos, we know too well that justice is not always even-handed", he added.

LONG DISCERNMENT

Salguero said the decision came after a years-long discernment process that included "prayer, reflection, and dialog with anti-death penalty organizations like Equal Justice USA (EJUSA)."

Through this process, they tried to understand the Bible imperative to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly before our God." "The gospel calls us to speak out for life, and our unanimous decision today to call for the end of capital punishment is part of that commitment", the president explained.

Salguero pointed out that there are substantial injustices in how the death penalty is administered because "human beings are fallible and there is no room for fallibility in matters of life and death".

NaLEC is the 1st national association of evangelical congregations to take a position in favour of death penalty repeal.

The vote came days after Debra Milke, a woman who spent more than two decades on death row, was exonerated by an Arizona court.

COBELLIGERENCE IN IMPORTANT ISSUES

NaLEC is not the only group that has publicly talked against death penalty. On Good Friday, more than 400 Catholic and evangelical leaders signed a statement against death penalty.

"Christ on the cross is a reminder of the millions of people who have been executed by government in history and how grotesque it really is and, often, how unjust it is", said David Gushee, an evangelical ethicist at Mercer University in Atlanta.

Gushee is one of the signers of a statement against death penalty, as are 2 former presidents of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (Joseph A. Fiorenza of Galveston-Houston and William Skylstad of Spokane, Washington.); Miguel Diaz, former U.S. ambassador to the Holy See; and Jim Wallis, Timothy P. Kesicki, head of all Jesuit priests in the U.S. and Canada; and Richard Cizik, a former vice president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

The letter described death penalty as a "practice that diminishes our humanity and contributes to a culture of violence and retribution without restoration", and urged governors, judges and prosecutors to end with it.

Advocacy groups are having success at the state level in banning the death penalty. Equal Justice USA has been influential in banning the death penalty in New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland.

"The faith community has been a critical force in the movement to repeal the death penalty", confirmed Heather Beaudoin, who directs evangelical outreach for EJUSA.

"EJUSA has found that evangelicals are eager to take another look at this issue, reflecting what we are seeing in the country as a whole", EJUSA's Executive Director Shari Silberstein said.

Silberstein believed that while the Latino Coalition was the first to take this stance, "I do not think they will be the last".

DEATH PENALTY SUPPORT

American support for the death penalty has hit the lowest levels in 40 years. Much of this eagerness may be among younger Christians. According to a 2014 Barna survey on the death penalty, 23 % of millennials (born 1980-2000) who described themselves as Christian agreed with the statement: "The government should have the option to execute the worst criminals."

Hispanics and African Americans (Catholic and Protestant) are the most opposed to capital punishment. White evangelical Protestants are the greatest supporters of it with 67 % of those surveyed by Pew favouring capital punishment. In early February, Rasmussen Reports released a new survey showing that 57 % of American adults favour the death penalty.

Besides, only 5 % of Americans think Jesus would support the executions of criminals through death penalty.

So far in 2015, there have been 10 executions carried out. Since 1976, there have been 1,404 executions in total with 1999 having the greatest number, 98.

(source: evangelicalfocus.com)

Death penalty win seen as tough sell in Tsarnaev case

Prosecutors who had the upper hand with an overwhelming case against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in his trial will find themselves the underdogs, fighting an uphill battle, when the likely guilty verdicts propel them into the penalty phase and they have to convince a Massachusetts jury he deserves execution, a noted death penalty expert said.

The government will have to prove that killing Tsarnaev, 21, is a "necessity to add to the feelings of security and closure for the people of Boston - that it's very important for Boston to be 'strong' and this is something that's going to help the community," said University of California Berkeley professor Frank Zimring.

"Given that Massachusetts has been out of the business for decades of putting anyone to death, in essence, what the prosecutors have to do is bring a penalty back to the moral community that has been long gone," Zimring said. "There are a lot of people who would want him to die, of course, but the question of killing as part of the rebuilding of Boston ... that's going to be a very tough sell."

The jury of 7 women and 5 men was sent home last night after deliberating for more than 7 hours on trial evidence and Tsarnaev's 30-count indictment charging him with 4 murders. They submitted 2 notes to Judge George A O'Toole Jr. at 4:25 and 4:30 p.m., neither of which he read in open court. Instead, O'Toole ordered the trial teams to meet privately with him this morning.

Tsarnaev - a sophomore failing his classes at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth when he carried out the Patriots Day 2013 terrorist attack with his late older brother Tamerlan - did not take the stand in his own defense. Zimring said it's the worst move his legal team could make at sentencing, because if the once popular lifeguard and Cambridge Rindge and Latin wrestling team captain came across as intelligent and thoughtful, it would implode their argument that he was Tamerlan's dupe.

"This trial will be about him," Zimring said. "It won't be starring him. It becomes sort of a status competition between the prosecution wanting to emphasize the seriousness of the crime, and the defense putting the defendant at center stage, his characterological history, his relationship with his brother ..."

With life imprisonment without parole Tsarnaev's only alternative to death if he's found guilty, Zimring said the central issues for jurors to weigh "are degree of fault and degree of retributive need. It's not that he's going to be a danger to Boston again."

(source: Boston Herald)