July 22

KANSAS:

Kansas Supreme Court upholds death sentence of man who killed Greenwood County sheriff

The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday upheld the conviction and death sentence of Scott Cheever, the man who shot and killed Greenwood County Sheriff Matt Samuels during a drug raid in 2005.

It was only the 2nd time the state's high court has upheld a death sentence since Kansas reinstated capital punishment in 1994.

And the decision comes amid intense political scrutiny of the court during an election year in which the Kansas Republican Party has openly called for 4 of the 7 Supreme Court justices to not be retained this year, in part over controversy stemming from earlier death penalty cases.

In 2012, the court initially overturned Cheever's conviction and death sentence, saying in part that the trial court in Greenwood County violated his Fifth Amendment privilege against self incrimination by allowing evidence to be introduced from a court-ordered psychiatric examination.

The court said the testimony of Dr. Michael Welner should never have been admitted. It did not address the question of whether Welner's testimony unfairly influenced the jury.

But the U.S. Supreme Court the following year reversed the Kansas court in a unanimous opinion written by Justice Sonia Sotomayor, saying the prosecution was entitled to present that witness to rebut Cheever's claim that he was not mentally competent at the time of the killing because he had been abusing drugs.

In a 52-page opinion released Friday, written by Justice Eric Rosen who is not up for retention this year, the Kansas court, in a 6-1 ruling bowed to the U.S. Supreme Court by agreeing that Welner's testimony was admissible.

The court went on to say, "Welner's testimony, while questionable in form, did not, in substance, exceed the proper scope of rebuttal, either constitutionally or under state evidentiary rules."

It also said none of the other issues that Cheever's attorneys raised on appeal warranted reversing the verdict or death sentence.

Justice Lee Johnson, who is also not up for retention this year, wrote a dissenting opinion saying he believes the death penalty violates the Kansas Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

(source: Lawrence Journal World)

NEBRASKA:

Journey of Hope brings message of healing to fight against death penalty

2 people on opposite sides of the criminal justice system brought a message of healing Thursday evening in their quest to see that the death penalty in Nebraska remains banned.

Shujaa Graham and SueZann Bosler, both representing the organization called "Journey of Hope ... from Violence to Healing," shared their stories with a group of about 2 dozen people Thursday evening at the Immaculata Monastery in Norfolk.

Both encouraged Nebraskans to vote to retain the state's ban on capital punishment in the November general election.

Graham spoke first and told his story of how he was sent to death row in California after being wrongly convicted of murder. Later, Bosler spoke of learning to forgive her father's killer and how she spent many years fighting to see that man's death sentence overturned - a fight she finally won in 1997.

Graham lived in southern California during the 1960s and was in and out of trouble as a teenager before being sent to prison for robbery. While he was incarcerated, Graham was wrongly convicted of murdering a prison guard in 1973 and was sentenced to die in California's gas chamber.

"I'm not here because of the system," Graham said. "I'm here in spite of the system."

Graham spent time on San Quentin's death row before his death sentence was overturned in 1979. After the case was retried for a 4th time, he was finally acquitted in 1981.

After leaving prison, Graham dealt with bitterness over his wrongful conviction before receiving healing via the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"What helped me is I continued to study and read the philosophy of Dr. King," Graham said. "And it kept me straight in terms of loving everyone, but you don't necessarily have to like it. You can't pick and choose whose human rights you want to respect. It was hard and it took a lot of strength."

Bosler told the crowd of how James Bernard Campbell came to the door of her father's house in Florida and stabbed him 24 times before turning the knife on her and stabbing her 5 times. While Bosler survived the attack, her father, a Church of the Brethren minister, did not.

Bosler spent more than a decade fighting to see Campbell receive a life sentence instead of the death penalty because of her and her late father's opposition to capital punishment. That fight often put her at odds with the prosecutors and judges in the case - even being threatened at one point with a contempt of court citation if she spoke out about her views on the death penalty.

"My father said, 'Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me,' but I say let it begin with every single one of us in this world," Bosler said. "We all have a place to help society, to bring peace and to bring this to the world."

Bosler also spoke of her internal struggle to forgive Campbell and how forgiving him for her father's murder helped her find the peace she sought.

"Some people think that if you forgive the other person, you're above them and you're better than them," Bosler said. "It doesn't work that way. I am a better person within myself, but I am just as equal to him as anybody else in the world and will always be equal to anybody in this world."

Graham and Bosler will continue their tour of Northeast Nebraska this weekend, visiting Wayne on Friday evening and Dakota City on Saturday morning.

It's part of organized efforts to encourage Nebraskans to retain the ban on the death penalty, which was approved by the Nebraska Legislature. That led to a successful petition drive to put the question on the November ballot.

(source: Norfolk Daily News)