Aug. 26

TEXAS:

Trial date set in Scott's case in death of parents

A trial date has been set for Stephen Scott, a Dallas man facing a felony charge of capital murder of multiple persons in connection with the death of his parents earlier this year.

The trial, which will begin Dec. 5 and heard by a jury, was set Thursday during Scott's latest court proceeding. His court-appointed attorney, Lee Ann Breading, said Scott was present in the holdover facility for Thursday's court appearance.

The proceeding was held in 362nd District Court with Judge Bruce McFarling presiding.

A grand jury indicted Scott, 40, in connection with the murder of his parents, Marion Scott, 75, and Linda Scott, 70, on Jan. 21. Scott allegedly stabbed the couple in their home Jan. 10, according to an arrest affidavit. Scott reportedly called 911 and confessed to the fatal stabbings to an emergency dispatcher, police have said.

Denton police arrested Scott the same day and charged him with capital murder. He remains in Denton County Jail with his bail set at $250,000, according to jail records.

In the time Scott has been behind bars, he's been hospitalized for what's believed to have been a self-inflicted head wound. Breading said earlier this year she would evaluate Scott to determine if his injury impacted his ability to work with the defense. That is yet to be determined.

"All those issues are still pending," Breading said earlier this week.

If convicted, Scott could face the death penalty or life in prison with no possibility for parole.

Whether prosecutors will seek the death penalty has also yet to be determined, according to Jamie Beck, first assistant district attorney.

"We have not filed any kind of formal notice that we are, and that's something that must happen before we can," she said.

(source: Denton Record-Chronicle)

******************

Change of venue denied in capital murder case

A district judge has temporarily denied a request to move the capital murder trial of a former Texas correctional officer accused of killing his infant son and the boy's grandmother in Walker County more than 3 years ago.

Judge Don Kraemer ruled against a change-of-venue motion filed by defense attorneys for Howard Wayne Lewis during a hearing Wednesday afternoon in the 12th Judicial District courtroom at the Walker County Courthouse. Kraemer said he would keep the motion in consideration if anything develops between now and Lewis' trial that could jeopardize his right to a fair and impartial trial.

A trial date has not been set at this time as the court awaits the results of additional DNA testing that was requested by Brian Lacour with the Texas Regional Public Defender for Capital Cases office, who is representing Lewis. Kraemer said Wednesday it will likely be next year before the death-penalty case goes before a jury.

"It will be after January before we get (the DNA testing results)," Kraemer said. "My hopes to try this in January has been thrown out the window."

Lewis was indicted by a grand jury in November 2014 on a charge of capital murder of a child under 10 after DNA evidence allegedly linked him to the July 24, 2013, slaying of his son, 18-month-old Aiyden Benjamin Lewis. Investigators believe the murders were a result of an ongoing custody dispute between Lewis and the baby's mother, Tiffany Crawford.

Crawford's husband found the bodies of his wife and grandson at their home on M. Williams Road, about 6 miles west of Huntsville off Highway 30. Autopsies revealed Aiyden died of asphyxiation and his grandmother, 55-year-old Shanta Crawford, was violently beaten to death with a blunt object.

Local defense attorneys Frank Blazek and Paxton Adams testified Wednesday for the defense. They said they did not believe Lewis could get a fair trial in Walker County because of the nature of the crimes.

"... Inevitably, sympathy will be for the child and grandmother and not your client," Blazek told Lacour. "... (A Walker County jury) wouldn't have any problem choosing death in this case."

Blazek also testified to the extent of the media coverage. Lacour introduced into evidence Wednesday 15 reprinted copies of The Huntsville Item, dating from July 26, 2013 to Nov. 11, 2014, which contained stories about the case.

"In general, the defense never benefits from media coverage," Blazek said.

Adams testified that Shanta Crawford was well-liked in the community, especially among Texas Department of Criminal Justice employees she worked with. He said the few people who have asked him about the case, assuming he knew a lot about it because he is a defense attorney, had come to the "conclusion" that Lewis was guilty of the murders.

Blazek said that Walker County had "good people" and they have "picked good juries" during his time practicing law here, but again, he believed the circumstances involving the case made it different than others.

"In my opinion as a defense attorney in this county, I do not," Adams answered when Lacour asked him if he thought Lewis could get a fair trial in Walker County.

The state produced 3 witnesses, including one who lives in the vicinity of the crime scene, who all testified that they had limited knowledge about the case and hardly talked about it.

David Ward, Ken Hugghins and Lovie Willis each said they had not discussed the murders with anyone since around the time they happened more than 3 years ago.

(source: Huntsville Item)

**************************

Jeff Wood's Stay of Execution Casts More Doubt on the Texas Death Machine

Terri Been was being interviewed by a reporter inside a Whataburger restaurant in East Texas on the afternoon of August 19 when the text came in: Her brother, Jeff Wood, on death row for his alleged involvement as an accomplice in the 1996 murder of his friend, and facing imminent execution, had been granted a stay. She read the text sent by Wood's attorney twice before dialing him up. "Are you serious?" she asked.

It had been a long and emotionally taxing day: Been and her husband, her parents, Wood's daughter, and another friend had traveled to Huntsville, Texas, the location of the state's execution chamber, for the first of several 8-hour visits with Wood in anticipation that he would be executed sometime after 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 24. The news from the lawyer, Jared Tyler, was a serious relief. "I consider it a miracle," she told The Intercept. "He's stopped Texas from killing my brother."

That afternoon the state's highest criminal court, the Court of Criminal Appeals, agreed with Tyler that a state district court should determine whether the punishment hearing portion of Wood's 1998 trial was infected by junk science and misleading testimony offered by the notorious Dr. James Grigson. If the district court agrees that it was tainted, Wood could get a new hearing, and a chance to get off of death row.

Grigson, who died in 2004, was known even among peers in the psychiatric community as "Dr. Death" for routinely offering scientifically unsupportable testimony that helped to send defendants to death row in a number of capital cases. He was expelled from the American Psychiatric Association and its Texas counterpart prior to testifying in Wood's case, where he opined that unless sentenced to die Wood would continue to be violent, a determination he made without ever examining Wood.

But the court majority sidestepped - at least for now - the biggest question in Wood's case: Is he legally eligible for the death penalty? That prompted a strongly worded opinion from one of the court's 9 jurists, Elsa Alcala, who for at least the 2nd time this year has called into question whether Texas' death system itself is constitutional - an unusual stance for a jurist on such a conservative and notoriously pro-death penalty court in the state with the nation's most active execution chamber. Indeed, Alcala has been airing concerns that have not been expressed in any meaningful way by any member of that court in nearly 2 decades. Wood, she wrote, "may be actually innocent of the death penalty because he may be categorically ineligible for that punishment."

An Unconstitutional Sentence

Wood is on death row even though he has never killed anyone. He was convicted and sentenced to die for the January 2, 1996, robbery of a convenience store that ended with the shooting death of his friend Kriss Keeran, who worked at the store. But it was another man, Danny Reneau, who entered the store armed, intending to rob the place, and who shot Keeran. Wood, Reneau, Keeran and another store employee had planned an inside-job robbery for the previous day, but the plan had been aborted. Wood said he had no idea that Reneau intended to rob the store that day, and certainly had no idea that Reneau would kill Keeran. After the murder, Wood admits that he did help Reneau steal money from the store, along with a surveillance videotape, but says he did so only after Reneau threatened to harm his daughter.

But a quirk of Texas law allows the state to seek the death penalty against a defendant who never killed or intended to kill anyone. Known as the law of parties, the law posits that if conspirators plan to commit 1 crime - in this case a robbery - but in the course of events someone ends up committing another crime (such as a murder) all parties are liable for the crime committed regardless of their individual intent, under the notion that everyone should have anticipated that the crime committed would occur.

Advocates and lawyers argue that Wood's impending execution would violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment. It is an argument that would appear to be in line with U.S. Supreme Court precedent, which holds that a sentence must be proportional to the crime committed. In 2 cases involving parties to a planned crime that ended in murder, the court determined that the death penalty would be unconstitutional when a person lacked either the intent to kill or failed to exhibit a clear "reckless indifference" to human life.

No court has ever considered whether Wood's sentence was proportionate to his crime. Although Tyler finally raised the question directly in Wood???s most recent appeal, in staying the execution last week the Court of Criminal Appeals declined to ask the lower court to address the issue - except for Alcala, who opined in favor of addressing the question head on. "Perhaps one might suggest that I should not concern myself with the fact that applicant's death sentence appears to be unconstitutional under [Supreme Court precedent] because [Wood] should have raised this claim at some earlier stage of his post-conviction challenges and he is now procedurally barred from raising this challenge," she wrote. "I, however, would disagree with that suggestion."

It was the latest in a string of opinions by the conservative jurist questioning the legality of the death penalty and the approach of her colleagues to affirming death sentences. Alcala, who was appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, has questioned her colleagues' reluctance to allow inmates to present evidence challenging the Texas system as racist and out-of-step with a nation that is moving away from the death penalty. She has written strongly-worded dissents in two notable cases, involving the question of whether racially discriminatory testimony and poor lawyering condemned Duane Buck to die, and in another urging her colleagues to act to "uphold the federal Constitution" by setting up a modern and fair system for determining which defendants are barred from execution because of their intellectual disability. In the absence of a legislative standard, the court set up its own scheme for determining cognitive disability, a standard based on the mental abilities of the character Lennie from John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

The level of skepticism Alcala has expressed regarding the state's death penalty scheme - and her colleagues' role in maintaining the status quo - hasn't really been seen in Texas since Republicans took over the court in its entirety nearly 2 decades ago. As conservative jurists came to power in the 1990s, a waning contingent of Democratic judges held on, including Judge Charlie Baird, now a defense attorney in private practice in Austin. Baird said he and his colleagues would regularly dissent from the majority's rubber-stamping of death convictions. In 1996 Baird authored a dissent suggesting that Texas was not fulfilling its promise to the U.S. Supreme Court in the wake of the 1976 opinion that reauthorized the death penalty. Texas had promised "we would interpret the statute fairly and apply the death penalty fairly," he recalled. "And I don't think we ever kept those promises."

To be fair, other Republican judges have joined or written dissenting opinions in the intervening years, but none so clearly skeptical of the system as Alcala's - save for a literal swan song opinion by Judge Tom Price, who opined in 2014, just before retiring his seat, that the death penalty "should be abolished."

Although Alcala hasn't uttered the same words, she nonetheless stands out even more than Price in 1 key way - her current term is up in 2018, meaning that speaking out could derail her chances to remain on the court in the future. In a profile published by Fusion, Alcala said it was "unlikely" that she'd run again, but also acknowledged that she has not made any definitive decision.

Attorneys with considerable experience litigating capital cases before the Texas court say that they are encouraged by Alcala's opinions, but are nonetheless skeptical that her more moderate and thoughtful approach to considering death penalty cases would necessarily have any outwardly obvious effect on her colleagues. "I've been waiting and I haven't seen it. I just haven't seen it," said Keith Hampton, a veteran defense attorney who was behind the only successful bid to have a death sentence commuted by Perry during his 3-term tenure as the state's governor, during which time he presided over more executions than any other modern governor. Hampton said he could see Alcala's approach evolving in recent years, and believes now that she's "genuinely dedicated" to reform. "Clearly she's not playing to the crowd - because we're in Texas and there is no crowd for this here." In fact, Hampton worries that Alcala's writings and public posture may have given ammunition to any number of aggressive prosecutors who could try to force her recusal from considering appeals of their death cases.

Bryce Benjet, a former lawyer with the nonprofit Texas Defender Service who now works for the Innocence Project, said it might be more significant that the concerns Alcala has expressed haven't "happened with more frequency" on the court. But what is especially noteworthy, he said, is that these concerns are coming from a former prosecutor for Harris County (which includes the city of Houston), a jurisdiction responsible for sending hundreds of defendants to death row, and the U.S. county responsible for the most executions since 1976.

To Tyler, Wood's attorney, Alcala's views are more in line with those of the U.S. Supreme Court than with her colleagues. He notes that the Supreme Court has accepted for review 2 recent cases where she authored stern dissents - in the Buck case and in the case challenging the state's process for determining cognitive disabilities. And he said he believes the Supreme Court should take up Wood's case as well, to finally decide whether Wood's sentence is proportionate to his crime.

In the meantime, Wood's family and supporters have attracted another contingent of unlikely supporters in the form of conservative state House members who have been airing their own concerns about whether Wood's sentence is proper. Ultra-conservative members have each spoken out about their concerns and have been trying to persuade the Board of Pardons and Paroles and Gov. Greg Abbot to consider commuting Wood's sentence. "I believe the death penalty, and in some cases the law of parties, has a place. Human life, being made in the image of God, is very precious," East Texas state Representative David Simpson, wrote in a column published in the Dallas Morning News. "In the case of Wood, I have seen enough questions to warrant advocating that his life be spared. Ultimately, God will judge our actions, and as humans we make mistakes and our justice system is not perfect."

(source: theintercept.com)

CONNECTICUT:

Home invasion survivor Dr. William Petit announces run for political office

9 years after surviving a brutal home invasion that resulted in the deaths of his wife and 2 daughters, Dr. William Petit has decided to run for political office in Connecticut.

Petit, 59, is expected to officially announce on Friday morning that he will run for a seat as the Republican Party's nominee in the 22nd District in Connecticut's House of Representatives. He faces an uphill battle against incumbent Betty Boukus, 73, who has represented the Plainville district since 1994.

Petit, speaking exclusively with Cynthia McFadden on TODAY Friday, said that his platform is much more than the outspoken support for the death penalty that he has shown since the tragedy in 2007.

"You know, some people still stop and say, 'I know where you stand. You're for the death penalty,''' Petit said. "And I say, 'Well, you know, I'm not really running on the death penalty. What's important to people is their quality of life, the economy, their jobs, their children's futures. And that has to do with has to do with our economy and our job structure kinda thing.

"So no, I'm not running on the death penalty."

In July 2007, 2 men followed home his wife, Jennifer, and daughter, Michaela, 11, from a local grocery story. Petit was locked in the basement as his wife, Michaela and daughter Hayley, 17, were tortured before their home in Cheshire, Connecticut, was set on fire.

Petit had been locked in the basement during the attack and was able to escape the fire. The 2 men who perpetrated the attack, Joshua Komisarjevsky and Steven Hayes, are now on death row.

Petit became a strong supporter of the death penalty in Connecticut following the loss of his family. In 2015, the Connecticut Supreme Court effectively banned the death penalty, which was upheld in a court ruling in May.

"Never, never forgive evil, and that's what it's about,'' Petit said. "And that's what the death penalty is about is erasing evil."

Petit still suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and survivor's guilt.

"Sleep is always tough," he said. "With loss, people talk about closure. But there is no closure."

Petit has since remarried, meeting his wife Christine, a photographer, after founding the Petit Family Foundation in memory of his family. The pair tied the knot in front of 300 people in 2012, with the blessing of the family of his late wife.

They also have a son, William, who turns 3 in November.

(source: today.com)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Ruling points to flaws in death penalty

A flawed system

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit showed us that the death penalty is a flawed system ("New trial ordered in 1991 slaying," Wednesday).

The court ruled Tuesday that the prosecution improperly kept evidence out of the murder trial of James Dennis. That evidence might show that the Philadelphia man did not kill a 17-year-old Olney High School student.

The ruling is a victory for Dennis, who has been in prison since 1992 because prosecutors were more interested in getting a conviction than in getting it right.

It is a victory for his family, who stood by him, and for Pennsylvanians, who care about fairness and justice.

Hopefully, with this decision, prosecutors and politicians will move to end the death penalty before we execute an innocent person.

|Nicolas Guerrero, University Park, Pa.

(source: Letter to the Editor, philly.com)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Toone makes court appearance for deaths of 3 girls

The man suspected of beating his family to death made a 1st appearance in Pitt County District Court on Thursday after he was charged with 3 additional counts of murder in the case.

Dibon Toone was arraigned on charges that he killed Ayona Toone, 7, Myona Toone, 5, and Bryana Nicole Carr, 11. Toone was the father of the 2 younger girls.

The girls were killed along with their mother Garlette Howard, 32, in the home they shared with Toone at 1101 Grovemont Drive. Their bodies were discovered at the home Aug. 16 after a family member of Toone's requested police to check on the family.

Toone previously appeared in court after the Greenville Police Department charged him with murder in the death of Howard. Although he always was the suspect in the three other deaths, the department did not serve murder warrants on him until Wednesday.

He is being held without bond on the 4 murder charges.

His 1st appearance, much like the one he made after he was charged with Howard's death, lasted just a few minutes. He was escorted by deputies into the courtroom at the detention center, wearing leg, waist and hand chain restraints and cuffs.

He wore a padded green cover-up that is sometimes used for defendants who may be suicidal. It is held together by Velcro.

District Court Judge David Leech read Toone his rights and told him that the punishment if convicted of 1st-degree murder is life in prison or the death penalty.

Toone told the judge that he already had been appointed a court appointed lawyer to represent him, and Leech told him he would assign the N.C. Office of Indigent Defense Services to represent him. That office will then appoint the same attorney who is representing him on the first murder charge to represent him on the other three murder charges.

Except for answering the judge's questions, Toone, who wore the same hard look on his face that he has worn since he was returned to Pitt County, said nothing during the short hearing.

Toone was arrested in Richmond, Va., on Aug. 16 while driving a LabCorp vehicle that Howard used in her job for that company, and was returned to Pitt County on Aug. 19 to face the murder charges.

The initial 1st appearance was held on Monday, also in the courtroom at the Pitt County Detention Center.

(source: reflector.com)

ALABAMA:

Judge denies bond for man held in killing of 5 in Alabama----District attorney calls Mississippi man a 'danger to the community'

A judge refused to set bond Wednesday for a Mississippi man accused of killing 5 people and an unborn child who were slain one by one with an ax and shot inside a home in rural Alabama.

The decision by Mobile County Judge Rick Stout came as Derrick Dearman, 27, made his 1st court appearance on multiple charges of capital murder and kidnapping.

"He doesn't need to be out. He is a danger to the community," District Attorney Ashley Rich said afterward of the Leakesville, Mississippi, man.

Rich has said her office may seek the death penalty against Dearman, who allegedly attacked the 5 as they slept and then kidnapped his estranged girlfriend, who had sought shelter from him at the house. Killed were 3 men and 2 women, one of whom was pregnant.

Relatives of the victims were present at Wednesday's hearing. Dearman turned to look at them but said nothing.

The Mobile County Sheriff's Office said several firearms and an ax were used on the 5 adults, but authorities didn't specify the total number of weapons involved.

Sheriff Sam Cochran said Dearman didn't have the guns when he arrived at the home but found them in the house. Cochran said he attacked first with the ax, then with the guns.

Dearman has told reporters he was high on methamphetamine at the time of the slayings early Saturday.

(source: Associated Press)

MISSISSIPPI:

Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood defends discredited forensic experts, harasses defense attorneys instead

Yesterday, I posted about a crazy deposition from last April in which longtime Mississippi forensic expert Michael West went wildly off the rails. West was profane, belligerent, and openly contemptuous of the fact that anyone would dare question his expertise. The remarkable thing is that this was a deposition for a post-conviction hearing in a death penalty case. And in that case, West is the star witness. His testimony was the only physical evidence putting defendant Eddie Lee Howard at the crime scene.

Once in post-conviction, these cases are handled by the Mississippi Attorney General's Office. You might think that the Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood would be embarrassed by West's antics. The actions from his office after the deposition indicate that that you'd be wrong.

The deposition occurred on April 16. On April 25th, in anticipation of the evidentiary hearing that followed in May (that hearing went down about the same way as the deposition - the judge has yet to rule on the matter), Tucker Carrington of the Mississippi Innocence Project sent a letter to assistant attorney general Jason Davis. In it, Carrington again pointed out that since Howard's trials West has been widely discredited. He pointed out that in the deposition itself, West contradicted his testimony at trial. And he pointed out West's wholesale failure to take any of this seriously - he failed to prepare for the deposition, his failed to produce the appropriate documents and records, and he of course showed an appalling lack of professionalism and reverence, particularly given that a man's life is at stake. Carrington again requested that the AG's office drop the charges.

The next day, Davis and Hood filed a motion requesting a hearing to assess the competency of Howard's legal team. It's an astonishingly brazen reaction. Faced with an embarrassing performance in which the state's already-discredited primary witness in a death penalty case came completely unhinged, Hood chose instead to attack the credibility of Eddie Lee Howard's lawyers.

My sources in Mississippi tell me that Hood's office has using this tactic for a while now. The motion was based on Rule 22 of the Mississippi;s Rules of Appellate Procedure. The intent behind that rule is sound: It gives the state's courts a mechanism to ensure that defendants in capital cases are getting adequate legal representation in their appeals. These are complicated and consequential cases. You don;t want death penalty appeals and post-conviction petitions handled by fresh law school grads or washed up schlubs.

The problem is that the rule as originally written was vague and sloppily drafted. For example, it required anyone handling a death penalty appeal to have taken a new felony case within the last 3 years. That may sound reasonable, but many attorneys work solely on post-conviction cases, which can draw on for years. They can handle multiple cases for years on end without ever taking on a new client. These of course are some of the most qualified attorneys to handle capital cases. Yet under the rule, they could potentially be disqualified.

Sources in Mississippi say that Hood's office has been using the rule as a weapon. While Hood and his subordinates will claim in briefs that they're merely fulfilling their obligation to protect the rights of criminal defendants, they aren't filing these motions as a matter of course in every capital case. The sense in Mississippi is that they haven't been using the rule to hassle out-of-state law firms and nonprofit legal aid groups taking Mississippi capital cases on a pro-bono basis. The attorneys at these firms and aid groups have extensive experience in capital cases. In other words, Hood's office has been using the rule to attack the most qualified capital defense attorneys, not the least. In 1 recent example, Hood's office tried to disqualify a well-respected Virginia attorney with significant death penalty experience because he hadn't paid the $350 fee necessary to be barred by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit - 1 of the requirements under the rule as it was previously written.

In an affidavit filed last November, Emily Olsen-Gault, the director and chief counsel for the American Bar Association's Death Penalty Representation Project, voiced the ABA's concerns about what Hood was doing:

"The interpretation of Rule 22 that the Attorney General's Office has advanced would irreversibly chill the recruitment and participation of pro bona counsel in post-conviction proceedings in Mississippi. This would not only harm indigent death-sentenced prisoners in Mississippi, but would also impose substantial burdens on Mississippi taxpayers."

In Eddie Lee Howard's case, Hood's decision to invoke the rule when he did was basically the legal equivalent of trolling. Tucker Carrington has been the director of the Mississippi Innocence Project for a decade. He has represented Mississippi clients in courts all over the state, as well as in federal court. He has been Howard's attorney since 2008. Prior to that he was a criminal defense attorney in Washington, D.C. Chris Fabricant is director of strategic litigation for the Innocence Project of New York. He has been a criminal defense attorney for over a decade. Dana Delger is a staff attorney at the Innocence Project who clerked for a federal appeals court judge and worked as a public defender in Harlem. Vanessa Potkin is a senior staff attorney with the Innocence Project. Peter Neufeld is a co-founder and co-director of the Innocence Project who has been practicing criminal defense law for decades. Plotkin and Neufeld in fact had represented Levon Brooks and Kennedy Brewer, the 2 men previously convicted by West's bite mark testimony who served nearly 30 combined years in prison before they were exonerated in 2007.

These are the attorneys named in Hood's motion. The Innocence Project can at times be controversial. Prosecutors and law-and-order types have often disagreed with the organization's methods, tactics, or policy recommendations. But to argue that its attorneys aren't qualified to represent defendants in post conviction proceedings is laughable. That's what they do. They've also been representing Howard for nearly a decade. That Hood's office would suddenly invoke the rule less than 2 weeks after the April hearing, and just a day after Carrington's letter, makes it pretty clear that this was just petty harassment.

Moreover, as Carrington pointed out in his response, Hood's motion is particularly absurd given that Hood's office has already vouched for the credibility of Howard's legal team in a different context. That was less than a year ago.

The irony here is that while Hood claims to be so concerned about the qualifications of capital defense attorneys, he has shown zero interest in ensuring that expert witness who testify for the state in Mississippi's courts are credible and qualified. That's what that deposition last April was all about.

For his entire tenure as attorney general, Hood has steadfastly defended Steven Hayne, the controversial medical examiner who did 80-90 % of the state's autopsies for nearly 20 years. (Hayne and West were collaborators. Hayne often referred cases to West, while West often assisted Hayne with his autopsies.) That's probably at least in part because Hood frequently used Hayne back when he worked in a DA's office. When Mississippi's public safety commissioner effectively fired Hayne several years ago, Hood led an effort to resurrect an antiquated law to bring Hayne back.

As for Michael West, Hood did finally admit in 2011 that West had credibility problems. He even told a local TV station that he was conducting an investigation. A few months later, the assistant attorney general Hood allegedly assigned to head up that investigation was asked what he had found. He replied that to that point, he had done a Westlaw search on West's name - the legal equivalent of typing West's name into Google. 5 years later, we've heard nothing from Hood or his office about what that investigation has turned up. And this is an attorney general who is anything but publicity-shy.

Instead, Hood's office is still aggressively fighting to preserve convictions won with West's testimony. In most cases, Hood's office now argues that defendants are procedurally barred from raising questions about West's expertise. In these cases, Hood and his subordinates don't even try to argue that West is credible. They don't dispute that West's testimony was fraudulent. Instead, they that the defendant has already attempted to challenge West's credibility either at trial, during an appeal, or in post-conviction - and lost. By publicly acknowledging that West is not a credible witness, Hood has admitted that the Mississippi's courts were wrong to allow and uphold West's testimony. But he's willing to keep people in prison based on the fact that years ago, he and his predecessors persuaded Mississippi's courts to approve that testimony - to issue those wrong decisions - and the law now prevents those same defendants from raising that issue again. Hood is essentially arguing that Mississippi keep people in prison - or in Howard's case, that Mississippi execute someone - on a technicality.

Whether Hood is right on the law on this particular point is beside the point. As attorney general, he isn't required to fight to preserve these convictions. He could drop the charges in the interest of justice. Or he could agree to a new trial without the tainted testimony. He just won't do it.

The Lowndes County Circuit Court didn't directly address Hood's motion because days after Hood filed it, the Mississippi Supreme Court revised Rule 22 to fix the vague language and sloppy drafting. Under the revised rule, Howard's legal team is more than qualified, so there's no room for Hood's motion. It isn't clear if the state supreme court revised the rule in response to Hood's motion, but the timing is certainly suggestive.

Hood is widely expected to run for governor next year. As one of the only Democrats holding statewide office in the deep south (and a fairly popular one at that), he's expected to get a lot of support from the national party once he announces. So far in his political career, Hood has found success in the south by countering his close (and at time scandalous) relationship with the plaintiff's bar and high-profile fights with prominent businesses with an unapologetic embrace of law-and-order policies, including a particular enthusiasm for the death penalty. It will be interesting to see if he continues to pull it off. The landscape on criminal justice is shifting. Hood's efforts to undermine the rights of criminal defendants and his utter disinterest in the forensics crisis unfolding right under his nose may came back to haunt him.

(source: Radley Balko, Washington Post)