Oct. 9

GLOBAL:

World Day Against the Death Penalty

On October 10, 2016, the 14th World Day Against the Death Penalty is raising awareness around the application of death penalty for terrorism-related offences, to reduce its use.

Running against the abolitionist worldwide movement, some governments have in recent years resorted to use of the death penalty following terrorist attacks on their countries, in the name of protecting their countries and peoples.

In the last 10 years, Bangladesh, India, Nigeria, Tunisia and others have adopted laws that expanded the scope of death penalty, adding certain terrorist acts to the list of crimes punishable by death.

More recently, Pakistan and Chad resumed executions in the name of the fight against terrorism, putting an end to moratoriums that had lasted for years.

The death penalty in practice:

-- 104 countries have abolished the death penalty for all crimes.

-- 6 countries have abolished the death penalty for ordinary crimes.

-- 30 countries are abolitionist in practice.

-- 58 countries and territories are retentionist.

-- 25 countries carried out executions in 2015.

-- The 5 top executioners in 2015 were China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the USA.

-- 65 countries and territories retain the death penalty for terrorism. Of these: - 16 countries are abolitionist in practice; - 1 country is abolitionist in law for ordinary crimes

(source: merinews.com)

CHINA:

Former China provincial party boss sentenced to death

A former Chinese provincial Communist Party boss has been sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve as part of the country's ongoing crackdown on corruption at all levels.

The Anyang City Intermediate People's Court in Henan Province said Sunday that Bai Enpei was found guilty of taking "a huge amount of bribes" and possessing a large amount of income from unidentified sources.

Bai had been a senior lawmaker with the national legislature and formerly served as the top ranking official in the western provinces of Qinghai and Yunnan.

Suspended death sentences are usually reverted to life imprisonment after 2 years with good behavior.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to end corruption and government waste, although critics have accused him of using the campaign to attack political rivals.

(source: Associated Press)

LEBANON:

EU Urges Lebanon to Abolish Death Penalty, Lauds Moratorium

Head of the Delegation of the European Union to Lebanon, Ambassador Christina Lassen, called on Lebanon on Sunday to abolish the death penalty, on the occasion of the European and World Day against the Death Penalty that will be marked on Monday.

"The European Union and Lebanon have a regular and open dialogue on human rights. Abolition of the death penalty is one of the issues that figure prominently in the agenda of our bilateral talks," Lassen said in a statement distributed by her press office.

"Although the last execution in Lebanon took place in 2004, death sentences are still being handed down," the ambassador lamented.

She called on Lebanese authorities to adopt a law "confirming the existing moratorium on the death penalty with a view to its abolition, as well as to ratify the 2nd Optional Protocol on the International Convent on Civil and Political Rights aiming at its abolition."

"We are glad to see that many of our partners in Lebanon share our views. This includes many civil society activists, but also policy makers, judges, religious leaders and citizens from all across the Lebanese society," Lassen said.

"On this day, we stand by them and share their hopes to make abolition a reality in Lebanon," she added.

(source: naharnet.com)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO:

RC Bishops: Abolish death penalty

The Roman Catholic Bishops of the Antilles Episcopal Conference (AEC) in the Caribbean has issued a statement calling for the abolition of the death penalty in the region.

In a release yesterday from the Catholic Commission for Social Justice it was reported that the statement was issued on September 21, 2016 and tomorrow (October 10) the world will observe World Day Against The Death Penalty.

The Bishops in their statement reaffirmed that "the prophetic voice of the Church must be heard especially in times of moral and social crisis. Thus, while we are appalled by the rise of violent crime in our region and express solidarity with the victims of crime and all those affected by crime, we urge politicians and citizens in our region to abolish capital punishment, that is, the death penalty and embrace a restorative justice approach to crime and violence." "The key watchwords of a restorative justice approach lie at the heart of Christian living, for example, repentance, conversion, reparation, restoration, restitution, reconciliation, rehabilitation, forgiveness, empowerment, and re-integration with a sense of responsibility - as opposed to revenge, retribution, and vengeance." The Bishops pointed out that all recent international studies and research show that capital punishment does not act as a deterrent, nor does it foster respect for life in our communities.

"Hence, regardless of the potential unpopularity of our gospel message that informs our position, we reaffirm the position: capital punishment symbolizes a form of despair for the effective reform of persons. Let us pray and work for the renewal of hearts and minds and find more sustainable and effective solutions aimed at reducing crime and violence in our region and in the world." "We urge our governments to strengthen the capacity of public institutions, including criminal justice systems, to address crime and violence; to address the risk factors that contribute to crime, for example: poverty, urban decay, social inequality and exclusion, family disintegration, poor parenting, lack of quality education and employment, poor housing, the proliferation of guns, drugs and gangs in the region, and to employ related preventive measures.

We stand ready and urge our faithful and all people of good will to work together to this end," the Bishops stated.

The Bishops also noted that Pope Francis has repeatedly called for the abolition of the death penalty and has described it as "an offence to the inviolability of life and to the dignity of the human person." He is urging nations to realise that God's infinite mercy extends to everyone - including those who have committed heinous crimes, the Bishops added.

Pope Francis was again quoted as saying "For the rule of law, the death penalty represents a failure, as it obliges the state to kill in the name of justice. There is discussion in some quarters about the method of killing, as if it were possible to find ways of 'getting it right'. But there is no humane way of killing another person. The commandment 'thou shall not kill' has absolute value and pertains to the innocent as well as the guilty.

(source: newsday.co.it)

JAPAN:

Bar society calls for abolition of death penalty

The Japan Federation of Bar Associations on Friday adopted a declaration calling for the abolition of the death penalty for the 1st time, at a human rights protection convention held in the city of Fukui.

With 786 lawyers, or some 2 percent of all lawyers in Japan who total about 37,600, attending the convention, the declaration was approved by a vote of 546 to 96, while 144 abstained.

Those who voted against the declaration apparently took into consideration the feelings of bereaved relatives of murder victims.

The declaration by the national organization for lawyers is expected to have an impact on domestic discussions on whether capital punishment should be scrapped.

In the declaration, the federation said that it aims to have the death penalty scrapped by 2020, when a U.N. conference on criminal justice is scheduled to be held in Japan.

To replace execution, the federation will consider calling on the government to introduce life sentences without parole.

The declaration noted that many countries in the world are in favor of abolishing capital punishment, adding that the death penalty is irreversible if it is carried out wrongly.

Before the vote, some participating lawyers, including Isao Okamura, whose wife was murdered, presented dissenting views.

Okamura serves as adviser to the National Association of Crime Victims and Surviving Families.

Kensei Kawakami, a member of the Fukui Bar Association, who supports crime victims, said: "Most bereaved relatives hope that the death penalty will remain. Opposing capital punishment is a betrayal of the victims."

(source: Jiji Press)

EGYPT:

Court orders death sentence against defendant in 'illegal cell' case----Death sentences over the past 3 years drew controversy

The Cairo Criminal Court on Saturday sentenced 1 defendant to death, 8 to serve life sentences, and the remaining 15 were sentenced to 15 years imprisonment in the in the "Secret Loyalty" terrorist cell case.

The prosecution charged the defendants with creating an illegal cell and hindering state institutions from carrying out their work, and violating citizens' personal privacy.

The cell also allegedly called for the removal of the regime by use of force and organising hostile attacks against police officers, tourists, and Coptic Christians.

In early September, the Cairo Criminal Court sentenced 4 defendants to death, 6 to 10 years strict imprisonment, and 2 to 15 years strict imprisonment in what was known as the Tanta cell case.

The defendants in the case were facing charges of establishing an illegal group that aimed to misrepresent authorities and assault the personal freedoms of citizens.

Since the ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood regime in 2013, hundreds have received death sentences and life sentences on charges of belonging to the outlawed organisation.

Local independent movement Against Death Sentences has called on civil society organisations and political parties to call for the suspension of death penalty sentences for the next 5 years, in an official statement released in early September.

The movement suggested this suspension would allow for public discussion on the different aspects of the death sentences.

"A death sentence is an irreversible verdict that strips away the lives of defendants even if it is proven later that they were not guilty," the statement read.

According to the movement, this topic has not been publicly discussed in Egypt before. The statement also stated that some countries had already abolished capital punishment, like Algeria and Morocco.

(source: Daily News Egypt)

INDIA:

Serial rapist-killer on death row counts his last days in Hindalaga jail

Umesh Reddy, serial rapist and killer, is counting his last days in an isolated barrack of Hindalaga central prison, Belagavi after Supreme Court reconfirmed his death sentence rejecting his review petition on 3rd October. Chitradurga-based 57-year-old Reddy confessed to have killed 18 women. He has been convicted in nine cases. Police believe that he raped and killed at least 20 women in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat states.

According to jail sources, notorious criminal has turned calm after rejection of his review petition in SC and getting mentally prepared to face execution. Jail authorities have received soft copy of the SC verdict and waiting for hard copy. "Further legal processes of execution will begin once we receive hard copy of the order", TP Shesha, jail superintendent said.

However, legal experts opine, still Reddy has a minute opportunity to defer his death by filing curative petition in court immediately, before execution orders are passed. Curative petition is last legal remedy after dismissal of review petition by the SC.

Trained in KSRP and DAR forces, Reddy used to target home-alone homemakers between 11am to 3pm when no men at home. Gaining entry into victims' houses on the pretext of asking water or address, he would threaten them to remove clothes on knifepoint, and rape them by tying their hands. After women got unconscious, he used to kill them and flee with valuables in the house.

.In 2006, Judge Sukanya of Bengaluru city fast track court ordered death sentence to Reddy. Since then, he has been in Hindalaga jail. Division bench of high court of Karnataka headed by justice VG Sabhahit upheld the death penalty in 2007. Justice SR Bannurmath of upper bench in high court also confirmed his death sentence in 2009. Simultaneously, SC upheld death penalty in 2011 and rejected review petition this week. Amidst this, Reddy moved mercy petition to the governor of Karnataka and the President of India but both rejected the same.

(source: The Times of India)