On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:36:01AM -0400, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> yea...I just did an update today and something decided to remove /bin/sh
> during the upgrade...and didn't put it back before it was needed...
> so if something hoses for you just recreate it by linking it to like
> bash...

I am the person responsible for this problem. In fact the problem was that
people did not want the bash package to override their /bin/sh link so
it had to be removed from the package. Problem is that this way dpkg will
delete the link. As long as you just run dpkg -i bash*.deb this is no problem
as the postinst will recreate the link if it is not there.

apt does it right - it configures bash at once since it is an essential
package. But when I upgraded my system using dpkg (the packages were
downloaded according to a list generated by apt) I lost /bin/sh myself.

If somebody could come up with a better method of handling this it would be
most welcome.

Thanks
    Torsten